JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Round bread loaves and Corn salad

Round bread loaves/ Corn Salad

We hosted a dinner for our guest speaker Sunday and everyone pitched in to make it a special time. It was one of our own elders so we put him in charge of the grill and made him work for his dinner so to speak. He grilled chicken, pork chops and wieners for the kids. We had the usual accompaniments that go with a BBQ but I decided to make a corn salad instead of potato or coleslaw.

Everyone really liked it and had never had it before. I remember eating it for the first time back in the 1978 so I guess that is why this congregation had never had it---none of them had teeth back then. For the most part our ASL congregation is young-mostly in their 20's and 30's and a few older ones like maybe 6 of us over 50. They say re: fashion that what goes out of style will come back around so I guess that apples to food too!

So here goes for any of you who have never heard of it and for those of you have had---well a blast from the past!

Take a 32oz bag of frozen sweet corn and let warm water run over it or defrost (don't cook it) in the microwave. Pat it dry with a Caen cloth or paper towels then turn it out into a big mixing bowl. Add one red and one green bell pepper diced and seeded, one diced red onion, 3 cups of grated cheddar and pepper jack cheese mix, 1 1/2 cups of good mayo that has had a package of taco seasoning stirred well into it, add some chopped green chilies or jalapeños if you like the kick. Salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate overnight preferably or at least make it early in the morning to meld the flavors. Right before serving take a bag of fritos plain or use honey BBQ flavor or chili cheese flavor and crush the bag before opening it. Stir in half the bag then sprinkle the other half on top for garnishment. The kids ended up eating several bowls and wanted more instead of the chocolate cake. Even the adults wanted the recipe thinking this was so new they had never tried it. I told them it was such an old recipe most people have forgotten about it till they taste and remember.

Now for the bread! Everyone's favorite and so versatile. Take a round loaf and cut cross wise every one inch but stop before you slice through completely. Now repeat the cut going opposite where you are left with approx 1 inch cubes. Melt 1 stick of butter and 1 pkg of Ranch dressing mix into the butter and stir well. Take scallions and chop them up in the melted butter. Pour or spoon this mixture between all the openings to make sure every piece has this butter moisture on it. Now take crumbled bacon and put between each cube then whatever cheese you like--I used the Colby and pepper jack mix since that is what I used for the corn salad. Place the round loaf in the center of a large piece of foil and bring the edges to meet up high over the loaf. If you wrap it tightly the cheese will stick to the foil unless you spray the foil with PAM and then it will pull all the goodies off and look ugly. We can't have ugly bread! Now put it in a hot oven-400 degrees for 15 mins then open the oven door and open the foil to expose the top of the bread--return it and watch it closely or it will burn when you turn your back. Let the cheese get nice and bubbly and some color on the bread then take it out and carry it to the table. This is your tada moment!!! It is so beautiful it will bring tears to the eye. Be sure and use tongs and a knife to cut all the way through because you definetily don't want scorched fingers. Several of the young girls made their meal off the corn salad and bread alone.

This bread can also be done with so many other things. Brown sugar, butter cinnamon and raisins make a nice sweet treat to go with milk r coffee. Also can use browned HB, or pepperoni, green onions, peppers mushrooms and mozzarella then pull it apart after baking and dip in marinara sauce. We have done Canadian bacon and pineapple to with mozerrella as in a Hawaiian pizza. I think the combinations are only limited by your imagination!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

I wondered about those extra pounds I keep finding, it's all Leslie's fault. Now I won't have to stay on this awful diet, just stop reading Leslies recipes.  :ecstatic: I have been starving myself for nothing. :huh: Thank you Wendy for pointing that out to me. :wub: 

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.