JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

got a new kitchen toy today

I'm excited for you to grow alfalfa sprouts. You're gonna love it when you do it. Just remember to use screening.

In the new system I'll come over and help you get started in the garden. A little help and you'll be an expert in no time.

If it makes you feel any better I planted zucchini last year, several times, and they all died! Yup I killed many zucchini! But this year I planted only one and it's doing great still, a tribute to the good weather we've had I think. I have 1 big one and 5 small ones. It's supposed to be nice for another week or so. I'll pick them then put them in the dehydrator.

Now, since this is a topic of kitchen gadgets I have to say another favorite is the wire racks you put on a baking sheet so your chicken can cook all around and be baked crispy. I'll marinate chicken over night in salt water to tighten the flesh then rinse, pat dry, dunk in whipped eggs then panko mixed with seasonings of your choice, placed on the racks and baked at 350, the chicken is crunchy and "fried" tasting. No more soggy anything for us!

Ohhh, Cheryl. I will be expecting you. I am still stymied about the salt water for the chicken to marinate in. Do you think it would firm of the flesh if I were to set in it? If so, I am buying boxes tonight to fill my bathtub with. Flesh fresher than in youth!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Ohhh, Cheryl. I will be expecting you. I am still stymied about the salt water for the chicken to marinate in. Do you think it would firm of the flesh if I were to set in it? If so, I am buying boxes tonight to fill my bathtub with. Flesh fresher than in youth!

Bwahaaaa!! ("Giggle like a school girl she does!!") That's too funny.

But seriously the salt didn't work on live flesh, (ahem), all I got was prun-ey! :uhhuh:

How about a bread maker? Do you have one of those? Two? Have you used one/like to use one?  

There was a sis, I think, who mentioned on the first page about doing jerky in the dehydrator. Think that's my next venture. She's right about putting some in the 'go' pack. I'll use the oxygen packets to help them stay fresh. We butcher (the farm I buy from) in December so I'll save some meat for that. Have you done that? 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

My alfalfa sprouts are coming along!

We did beef jerky before and it was quite good for jerky. I am just not a fan of that texture. Hurts my teeth/.

When my sister and I started living together we had double and triple everything for the kitchen. Three vita mix blenders and a super ninja. She had a dehydrator but had not used it for years and I did not think I ever would. Have 2 bread makers that I enjoy making different varities of bread. House smells heavenly when they are in use. Unfortunately I do everything in cycles. I don't know if it is because out of sight out of mind but once I go through the effort of digging out an appliance I will use it repeatedly till I store it away again.

LeslieDean

My alfalfa sprouts are coming along!

We did beef jerky before and it was quite good for jerky. I am just not a fan of that texture. Hurts my teeth/.

When my sister and I started living together we had double and triple everything for the kitchen. Three vita mix blenders and a super ninja. She had a dehydrator but had not used it for years and I did not think I ever would. Have 2 bread makers that I enjoy making different varities of bread. House smells heavenly when they are in use. Unfortunately I do everything in cycles. I don't know if it is because out of sight out of mind but once I go through the effort of digging out an appliance I will use it repeatedly till I store it away again.

Oh good for you growing sprouts! I have yet to find the seed. Have chia seed, maybe try that.

Jerky- was it tough? some can get that way and I don't like it tough and hard like hard tack either. Does hurt the teeth.

I understand what you mean about out of sight, I do the same thing. I keep the bread makers nearby because that's all we eat is home made organic breads. Or Tortilla's, they don't seem to hurt the gut. Made my sunflower seed/flax/lentil sprout/bacon grease bread yesterday, 2 loaves. And yes I had the odor-de-bread going on here, nice. You have a favorite recipe?  

Question, do you make pie dough? I'm a terrible baker but need to make 2 pies with the apples a brother dropped off yesterday. Sigh> Might have to resort to buying the pre-made.

Can ANYONE tell me how to make a pie crust? I really should learn.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Question, do you make pie dough? I'm a terrible baker but need to make 2 pies with the apples a brother dropped off yesterday. Sigh> Might have to resort to buying the pre-made.

Can ANYONE tell me how to make a pie crust? I really should learn.

I will see my cousins tomorrow at a family reunion. Their mother was the best baker EVER! Her pie crust were always flakey and tender. I will get the recipe again from Carolyn. I think she said that she uses a little vinegar and puts everything in a Tupperware bowl with a lid then just shakes it up and down till it comes together then takes it out and rolls it. She said she never could master the bread and baked goods like her mom. I know baking is suppose to be like a science-exact measurements and precise timing--but my aunt always just reached in and grabbed a handful of flour and through it on a board or in a bowl and a pich of this and that so I really don't know how she got everything so perfect. My aunt always won blue ribbons at the county fair and she was the cook at a country school. Everything from scratch and so delicious. Always a big garden and canned goods out the ying-yang.

I was determined to make homemade bread one time (before I bought the bread maker). I was not going to quit till I got it right. I started about 7am that morning before Rick went to work and told him when he got home he would have a loaf of bread like ha had never dreamed of waiting on him. He said he had dreamed many times but never about a loaf of bread so his expectations were not high. Anyway, I made three trips to the store that day. buying more yeast and flour because I kept killing the yeast--to hot or too cold (kinda like Goldilocks- and I needed more flour because I had to keep throwing it away. When Ric got home--not only was there no bread there was no dinner because I was preoccupied trying to get the bread just right. Finally he came to rescue me at midnight at said 'why don't you come to bed?" You can play some more tomorrow" That did it. I was not playing. I was determined. It never came out right. I even had flour upstairs and I never went upstairs throughout that whole ordeal. I guess it was airborne but there was flour everywhere. That has been 20 years ago. Never tried it again. I just need to realize this will be something I will have to learn in Paradise. Right now bread is such an easy thing to find in so many varitities but still nothing is like fresh out of the oven.

The jerky was tougher than a boot. The Isrealites would have loved me to be making their shoes for them!

Edited by LeslieDean

LeslieDean

The jerky was tougher than a boot. The Isrealites would have loved me to be making their shoes for them! 

Haaaa! I've had to soak it in warm water for abit to eat it, really not worth the effort.

I loved your story. Sounds like me. I can cook up a feast with simple ingredients but baking is not something that comes naturally. I have tortured many a pie crust. I look forward to hearing the recipe. But your bread maker bread turns out good?   

I use one that's already rolled out and just needs to be put in the pie plate. I hate baking. When I was young my parents owned a bakery and your's truly had to do the baking. My mother made the bread and I was the short order cook and baked whatever else was needed after the baker went home. Truthfully, I'm sick of cooking too. Grumpy cooks when I'm home, but I have to fix 3 meals a day every day when I'm at work. 

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I use the Pillsbury crust too. So easy, I don't get flour everywhere either and it is better than one I could make. You probably have one of those no fail pie crusts. But for me it was always let's go for 3 of of 4, or 5 or even 6. But pride won't let me do that anymore. I know my limitations.

LeslieDean

Lew stopped by the store on the way home and got me 2 pie crusts. OK, hate to admit it. But the apple pie beauties are in the oven as we speak. The apples came from the Kingdom Hall so they can't get more 'organic' can they!

I make a pie from dried pears that we pick and dry ourselves. I don't have a recipe but you make it similar to apple pie, same spices etc. I also add a cup of chopped walnuts and a handful of dried cranberries. The only thing to remember is the pears need to be soaked for about an hour.Yummie with vanila Ice Cream.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I make a pie from dried pears that we pick and dry ourselves. I don't have a recipe but you make it similar to apple pie, same spices etc. I also add a cup of chopped walnuts and a handful of dried cranberries. The only thing to remember is the pears need to be soaked for about an hour.Yummie with vanila Ice Cream.

I've heard about doing this. Haven't dried pears yet, maybe next season. What else do you do with dried pears? Ummm, I should dry some cranberries, they're in season here now and sold out of trucks. Do you know how to do craisons? Wonder how they sweeten them to make them. 

By the way the pies turned out wonderful- gave one to the brother I cook for and the other for Lew to eat. Neither one of them knew 1/2 the pie was with filled with zucchini! So they were 1/2 mock apple pie. I guess I'll have to get a fork and test it out,( I'm not much into sweets.)

The pears are actually delicious to just eat as a snack. When I dry them I sprinkle a little sugar cinnamon on them if I plan on just using them for snacks. Just a little sugar and mostly cinnamon. Cinnamon is good for keeping your blood sugar in control and I use it a lot. I am hypoglycemic.