JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Toshiba Laptop.

I can't believe it. Not again.

I have been really careful with my new gadget.

Tonight I go to use it says scaning for errors and I restart it.etc.

Now I have a message saying .... trying to repair disc may take over an hour.

Does this mean there is an inbuilt program that will or might repair it.

I know its still under warranty.

It has Windows 8 with all the apps built in.

Trying to figure it out & would love some help please.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

hi Gabe :wave:

had this a few times on my Toshiba laptop also

never did understand what 'disks' it was seeking to repair  :S

but after shut down few min, all was fine. 

surely Musky and his 'techie radar' will bring him here in a few minutes   :wink::lol2:

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16

It depends on what it is trying to repair. If it is running a "check disk" scan, then it detected a bad start-up file. I would let it run and if things are good when it finishes then fine, if not, I would take it right back since it is brand new. It could have a defective hard drive, it happens with new computers a lot.

If you have to return it, try to get them to "downgrade" to Windows 7 on the next one. Windows 8 is turning out to be  a problem for many. 

Musky with Windows 8 do you mean complicated or not a compatible

Program. Am curious.

Yes I let it go into automatic repairs. Left it alone

The C drive has been affected.

I frustrating. I was careful not to go to malwares or freeware places.

Thanks for responding.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Windows 8 is "compatible" because it is a version of Windows, but it was designed for touch screens and then adapted to laptops most of which do not have touchscreens. That's why there is no start menu is hidden or task bar and all you have are desktop icons. Fortunately you can  get the start button and task-bar back.  Here is an article that tells you how:

http://lifehacker.com/5955755/how-to-fix-windows-8s-biggest-annoyances-and-make-it-more-like-windows-7

My laptop has gone back to Harvey Normans. The tech guy said the hard drive has Karked it. \

SO is going to be repaired/or replaced. Thank goodness for warranty.