JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Leaving FACEBOOK

I am leaving tomorrow facebook.Became very public,so many feelings around,judging people and very gossipy!My personal opinion!

I understand.

When I started on Facebook, it was just people I knew in real life. Then for awhile I got caught up into Mafia Wars and had like 1200+ friends that I didn't know. Then I removed them and thought to myself that it would be cool if all these people were witnesses, and so I started friend requesting witnesses. Now I get friend requested all the time.

I made a few good friends, but now, at almost 900+ friends again, it is too overwhelming. The people I care about and know get buried under the comments and posts of people who I have no clue who they are. And so a few days ago I started "Hiding" people. It'll be a long process, but in the end my goal is to only ever see news about the people I know.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Its nice to be friends with brothers and sisters from other countries, and facebook gives that opportunity. But what will be the pleasure of having many friend and not being able to enjoy their association? So limited myself to not having more than 150 friends on facebook. This way, i get to read upbuilding comments from my friends. (Proverbs 27:9)

Same on my side.I made account on facebook in 2006!I had only couple friends which I knew in England but in 2008 became really known.I had over 800,I removed because I didn't talked with them so much.They took my action very offensively!

Facebook is about gossiping,lies,games,emotions and misunderstanding!I decided quit.

Hi Kamil.

It's a personal decision to take, one which I agree with, and recently closed my account for similar reasons. Others may continue with their accounts and there is nothing wrong with that at all. Anyway. it gives you more time at JWtalk don't you think :)

I agree. I have a FB account but Only have 80 people on, ALL of which I know. Friends and family. I keep in touch with my lil brother in Texas, my cousins in Florida and Chicago and all my friends from different halls in my state (Michigan). Its the best way for me to keep in touch with long distance family without having to pay the "long distance" charges. I believe in QUALITY when adding friends over QUANTITY. Just my opinion.

i have been on facebook for four years, starting with my daughter and a few clients and relatives. all worldly. when i started i was barely coming back into the truth. i found a wonderful group of Jehovah's Witnesses in a large group that helped me in so many ways to continue in my finding my way back to Jehovah. i found true friends that i cherish! in a short period of time i had more witness friends than non and the posts were so encouraging, in the beginning. then apostasy reared its ugly head. how? by JW friends who thought they were doing a good job by all of their apostate warnings. however, in due time, that kind of 'talk' only became discouraging and caused me to feel anxious. i deleted ones who talked about apostasy all the time. then the group disbanded and there was slander and hateful talk about why that happened. a short while later, unrelated to this incident a dear sister started showing signs of weakening in the faith and becoming lonely (she was deaf and had lots of obstacles in her life) but she received much love and encouragement from all of her brothers and sisters (i had even sent her some money to help her with circuit assembly costs!!) but in due time, she posted she was dissociating herself. she said she found worldly men more 'desirable than brothers who showed no interest) in her. i began to feel a love/hate thing for facebook and made a promise to myself, "if i see one more thing that causes me to feel discouraged on a site i have chosen to be on for spiritual refreshment, i am leaving." recently, i experienced two things; 1. slander and 2. (a separate incident) an announcement of a local sister (facebook friend) "in a relationship" with a disfellowshipped brother (also local). right then and there i deleted my account.

i don't miss the silly, self centered, self promoting comments that dominate facebook. i will miss my many wonderful friends but know i will see them for real in the near future after armaggedon. i believe that the majority of friends i have are wasting valuable time obsessed with posts and comments and spending way too much time on facebook. Jesus said at Mark 9:43-47 “And if ever your hand makes you stumble, cut it off; it is finer for you to enter into life maimed than with two hands to go off into Ge‧hen′na, into the fire that cannot be put out. And if your foot makes you stumble, cut it off; it is finer for you to enter into life lame than with two feet to be pitched into Ge‧hen′na.  And if your eye makes you stumble, throw it away; it is finer for you to enter one-eyed into the kingdom of God than with two eyes to be pitched into Ge‧hen′na."

but then again, that is my own opinion, shared by some. i suggest that if facebook ever causes you to cry, or to lose sleep, or to feel upset because of something you see (sister wearing a skirt as short as right below her crotch, another one in a very skimpy bikini!!) or stupid worldly music videos promoting idol worship (sorry, that's how i see it), i suggest prayerful consideration about staying on facebook. also, i like to think i might be setting an example, as a regular pioneer, that i have better things to do with my time, such as serving the most magnificent God of the Universe. not wasting time on mundane silly activities that do NOT allow for refreshment, as somehow, each time, one logs on, there is something posted that raises your dander! shouldn't be like that. not by choice of where to spend our time. REFRESHMENT. ENCOURAGEMENT. LOVE. satan can and will use anything he can to cause us to stumble. beware, brothers.

Yeah this topic is good, as it has been troubling me for a long time whether I should continue on fb. I spend too much time on it and find myself in conversations with people on there and there was a time that a brother and I used to talk so frequently that I began to REALLY like him. I'm starting to think he was the reason became so addicted to fb. It gets in the way of so much but I find it hard to stay away. In fact the only time I stayed away from Facebook for long periods of time was when I Auxiliary Pioneered in November.

I know this much something needs to be done about the time on spend on there. If they would actually let you completely delete your account it would be easier as there is no going back!

Yeah this topic is good, as it has been troubling me for a long time whether I should continue on fb. I spend too much time on it and find myself in conversations with people on there and there was a time that a brother and I used to talk so frequently that I began to REALLY like him. I'm starting to think he was the reason became so addicted to fb. It gets in the way of so much but I find it hard to stay away. In fact the only time I stayed away from Facebook for long periods of time was when I Auxiliary Pioneered in November.

I know this much something needs to be done about the time on spend on there. If they would actually let you completely delete your account it would be easier as there is no going back!

yes! you can DELETE your account!! i would give you the link but in order to do so i have to log back onto my FB account which would reactivate it! you have to use this link and leave your account alone for 14 days and then it will be deleted. go to the 'help' section on the upper right hand side of your page and in the 'search' window type in 'delete my account' and it should come up!

your experience is another reason why FB is so dangerous! it is what happened to several sisters i know of! let me know if my information was useful. remember, the 'addiction' is what is so dangerous!!! once you commit to doing this you have to stay away from even peeking into FB because the 14 days must pass before it is deleted.

Hi Rachael

with this link you should be able to permanly close your Fb account

http://www.facebook.com/help/?faq=13016&tq

I spend too much time on it and find myself in conversations with people on there and there was a time that a brother and I used to talk so frequently that I began to REALLY like him. I'm starting to think he was the reason became so addicted to fb.

if you knew everyone you were talking to was a genuine brother and sister...it would be fine... from time to time...but unless you know them...they can be anybody...:wheelchair:

and if you start to get romantically involved with someone ...before you know how they truly value spiritual things...that could lead to a whole heap of pain:nope:

Dianne,

thanks for your post.I was so many times stumble and weak by others.Sometimes i was thinking why brothers and sisters do that to others??It was so hurtful.I will spend more time to serve Jehovah and perhaps in here too!Thanks Sianrose for link so i will delete facebook permanently!Thank you all of you for encouraging posts!

Agape Bro Kamil

Dianne,

thanks for your post.I was so many times stumble and weak by others.Sometimes i was thinking why brothers and sisters do that to others??It was so hurtful.I will spend more time to serve Jehovah and perhaps in here too!Thanks Sianrose for link so i will delete facebook permanently!Thank you all of you for encouraging posts!

Agape Bro Kamil

i know, kamil! i witnessed it. i felt so sad for you. we need to 'close ranks' and draw close to each other and encourage each other as these days come to an end. i personally wish to hug and support you, kamil! keep on seeking first the kingdom and flee from satanic influences, which are anything that divides us or causes us to have conflicts with one another! Romans 16:17 "Now I exhort YOU, brothers, to keep your eye on those who cause divisions and occasions for stumbling contrary to the teaching that YOU have learned, and avoid them." we need to show love to one another at all times!

Dianne and Rachel, thank you for the info on permenant deletion of FB... i deactivated the middle of Dec and recently went backin to retrieve some of my NOTES and recipes i had saved... but mainly to figure out how to ERASE my account..last weekend at the assembly a friend of mine told me you could delete ALL of ur friends and albums... basically erase everything music, notes, etc and de-activate and after 14 days it would erase your account.. she went a step further and erased the e-mail account associated with her FB account....

I agree with all reasons mentioned above...it is a personal decision.. but for those who have left FB, it is usually for the same reasons... i made many friends.. some that i think of daily... if not for FB, i would never have met Bob or been invited to JWTalk... so i am grateful

With that said.... HEY DIANNE!!!!!!!!!!! I DO MISS YOU....LOL.... i'll have to get with you soon and catch up....... i thought of you endlessly thru the hoilidays <3 <3

Dianne and Rachel, thank you for the info on permenant deletion of FB... i deactivated the middle of Dec and recently went backin to retrieve some of my NOTES and recipes i had saved... but mainly to figure out how to ERASE my account..last weekend at the assembly a friend of mine told me you could delete ALL of ur friends and albums... basically erase everything music, notes, etc and de-activate and after 14 days it would erase your account.. she went a step further and erased the e-mail account associated with her FB account....

I agree with all reasons mentioned above...it is a personal decision.. but for those who have left FB, it is usually for the same reasons... i made many friends.. some that i think of daily... if not for FB, i would never have met Bob or been invited to JWTalk... so i am grateful

With that said.... HEY DIANNE!!!!!!!!!!! I DO MISS YOU....LOL.... i'll have to get with you soon and catch up....... i thought of you endlessly thru the hoilidays <3 <3

you are one of my blessings from FB!!! we will keep in touch! i am relieved the holidays are past and they were actually quite uneventful as i was busy pioneering and had good reasons to be unavailable. plus, not being in the work force anymore, i didn't have to tolerate holiday music much (stores......yuck!!!) and overall it was the best year since finding my way all the way back to Jehovah!

hope you are doing well and that your daughter is off to a good start with pioneering! we have our annual meeting friday after our circuit assembly yesterday and sat. it was wonderful (except my bible study fainted toward the end of the program!!! blood sugar issues, i suspect. she is fine). we have a new district overseer, chuck waller. funny and insightful! he said to me, "don't worry about catching up. just keep up!" when i told him i am trying to read the publications i missed while out of the truth. he was so loving and kind to take time to talk with me.

i am hoping my 'stuff' gets deleted when my 14 days are up. do you mean, that i have to delete personally all of my pics, notes. etc? or will they be deleted automatically as indicated after 14 days?

I am leaving tomorrow facebook.Became very public,so many feelings around,judging people and very gossipy!My personal opinion!

I understand.

When I started on Facebook, it was just people I knew in real life. Then for awhile I got caught up into Mafia Wars and had like 1200+ friends that I didn't know. Then I removed them and thought to myself that it would be cool if all these people were witnesses, and so I started friend requesting witnesses. Now I get friend requested all the time.

I made a few good friends, but now, at almost 900+ friends again, it is too overwhelming. The people I care about and know get buried under the comments and posts of people who I have no clue who they are. And so a few days ago I started "Hiding" people. It'll be a long process, but in the end my goal is to only ever see news about the people I know.

the friends i admired the most didn't post anymore! they were all too busy in the work of the Lord! i only seemed to get status updates that were mostly drivel! but i would read all the drivel and then feel bad about wasting so much time on nonsense. in the early days, you and a few others were the ones who unknowingly encouraged me so much spiritually!! i started out weak, after being out of the truth for 18 years, and ended up regular pioneering! there was some good that came out of it, after all. thank you, brother angle. you have no idea, i am sure, how much you encouraged me! as did jen, rollis, sally, leann, kamil and so many others that really, don't post much on FB anymore. i will look forward to meeting you all in the flesh someday!!!

I agree. I use my Facebook for my business more, since that's why I created it in the first place. I keep my family and friends separate from my business colleagues. I am so encouraged at JW Talk. I don't say a lot, but I love reading the posts!

i suppose she didnt use a link or address... she may have went about it the hard way......... and started deleting everything in hers

i LOVE that... "don't worry about catching up, just keep up" .. i, too, find myself feeling guilty for all the material i missed out on.

i have interesting news.. it was just announced that our current C.O. was transferred to Sacramento, CA... how close is that to you?

His name is Timothy Eudy...... it is such a bittersweet departure.. as we didnt even get to say good bye.. he proved to be a great encouragement to me and my children this past year.. i will miss him so... he didnt get to finish his term with us... this was a newly formed circuit in need of an experienced CO and he we begin in Feb there..... he is actually from Arkansas, not far from where i live.. so serving here was a chance to be back home for a little bit.

i suppose she didnt use a link or address... she may have went about it the hard way......... and started deleting everything in hers

i LOVE that... "don't worry about catching up, just keep up" .. i, too, find myself feeling guilty for all the material i missed out on.

i have interesting news.. it was just announced that our current C.O. was transferred to Sacramento, CA... how close is that to you?

His name is Timothy Eudy...... it is such a bittersweet departure.. as we didnt even get to say good bye.. he proved to be a great encouragement to me and my children this past year.. i will miss him so... he didnt get to finish his term with us... this was a newly formed circuit in need of an experienced CO and he we begin in Feb there..... he is actually from Arkansas, not far from where i live.. so serving here was a chance to be back home for a little bit.

no, that is way north of us! it is like another state!!! california is so long!!! we are right smack dab in the middle of the state, halfway between san francisco and LA. we love our CO and hear rumors that he might be leaving us mid term as well......his impact on me and getting me back on track is without measure. i know how you feel! we are so much alike, jen!

I like my Facebook. I do spend too much time on the games. I play Farmville everyday, but if it wasnt for Facebook I wouldnt have ever found JWTalk. I have to be very careful how much time I play on the games. I dont blame Facebook for the silly drama, but rather the people I PICK to be my friends on there. I really dont see a problem with Facebook itself, it is just who you have as friends that causes the problems. For example I post everything on my status as to what I'm doing such as what I'm cooking for dinner, what my pets are doing, and spiritual things too. I actually tend to be TOO open about myself, my feelings, my health problems,and my family, and I have never been very private. The problems I have is with my sons....who are not in the truth. One son claims to be athiest and anytime I post something Biblical or spiritual on my status he wants to attack it. Which starts an argument between us. I have wanted very badly to just delete HIM and not my Facebook! X( and then my other son wants to argue political stuff that I dont care about! He knows that I dont vote and other stuff but he just has to call me a Republican, as an insult, even though I dont affiliate with ANY political status. I'm sure if I deleted the two of them my Facebook might be a lot better! It is your own personal decision as to whether you delete your Facebook account, and I agree that you might want to pray about it. Maybe later I will want to delete it, but for now I dont want to. My health is very bad and I dont leave the house very often because of my bad health. I do spend time studying (eating my spiritual food), praying, and talking on the phone with my Witness family, cleaning my home, and occasionally going on Facebook, Farmville, and of course here.:)