JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Are there any brother and sisters from Mexico here?...

It must be scary living in Mexico...how do you cope?

Bloodbath as 14 decapitated bodies of young men are found in Acapulco

The decapitated bodies of 15 men have been found in the resort of Acapulco in Mexico.

The bodies, which were of young men, were found near a shopping centre near the beach.

They were all aged between 25 and 30 and appear to be the latest victims of drug-related violence.....

dailymail.co.uk

In the northern city of Santiago, the mayor's body was found with the eyes gouged out. In the picturesque town of Cuernavaca, four decapitated men were hanged from a bridge along a heavily traveled highway. And in Ciudad Juárez this week, two university students were hunted through a maze of streets and killed with bullets to the head, their bodies set on fire.

In 2010, the levels of Mexican violence and the kind of extreme cruelty once reserved for Quentin Tarantino movies reached new heights, not just along the Texas-Mexico border, but in regions that were once spared such bloodshed. More than 13,000 people were killed across the country in drug violence, up from an estimated 9,600 a year earlier.

"Mexico has a long history of violence, which is completely different from a culture of violence," said Harvard historian John Womack. "This kind of violence, however, hasn't been seen in Mexican modern history."

dallasnews.com

It must be scary living in Mexico...how do you cope?

Bloodbath as 14 decapitated bodies of young men are found in Acapulco

The decapitated bodies of 15 men have been found in the resort of Acapulco in Mexico.

The bodies, which were of young men, were found near a shopping centre near the beach.

They were all aged between 25 and 30 and appear to be the latest victims of drug-related violence.....

dailymail.co.uk

In the northern city of Santiago, the mayor's body was found with the eyes gouged out. In the picturesque town of Cuernavaca, four decapitated men were hanged from a bridge along a heavily traveled highway. And in Ciudad Juárez this week, two university students were hunted through a maze of streets and killed with bullets to the head, their bodies set on fire.

In 2010, the levels of Mexican violence and the kind of extreme cruelty once reserved for Quentin Tarantino movies reached new heights, not just along the Texas-Mexico border, but in regions that were once spared such bloodshed. More than 13,000 people were killed across the country in drug violence, up from an estimated 9,600 a year earlier.

"Mexico has a long history of violence, which is completely different from a culture of violence," said Harvard historian John Womack. "This kind of violence, however, hasn't been seen in Mexican modern history."

dallasnews.com

Some from our congregation have moved there for Pioneering. Have not had any problems that I've heard of. It sure is scary, though.

I live in Mexico, in Tamaulipas which was a relatively quiet state until last year when one group broke off from the other. There was one big shootout last March here in our city. But in almost all the other cities and towns the violence is regular. My husband has almost been caught in shootouts 4 times. And one more time if he would have gone to eat at Burger King in Tampico!

As for travel, we don't if we don't have to. This weekend we have the Special Day Assembly in San Luis Potosi and we have to travel 6 hours. We try to take precautions such as minimizing travel at night and taking the bus when possible. Here in our city we go in service like normal, but we are aware of our surroundings. I just keep in mind where I can go if shooting does break out.

I think it helps us depend more on Jehovah. I mean, this is basically a war zone, except it is not an open war. So we know we could die any day, and it will not even be in the newspaper. So it gives me a relative peace just serving Jehovah and enjoying each day.

I live in Mexico, in Tamaulipas which was a relatively quiet state until last year when one group broke off from the other. There was one big shootout last March here in our city. But in almost all the other cities and towns the violence is regular. My husband has almost been caught in shootouts 4 times. And one more time if he would have gone to eat at Burger King in Tampico!

As for travel, we don't if we don't have to. This weekend we have the Special Day Assembly in San Luis Potosi and we have to travel 6 hours. We try to take precautions such as minimizing travel at night and taking the bus when possible. Here in our city we go in service like normal, but we are aware of our surroundings. I just keep in mind where I can go if shooting does break out.

I think it helps us depend more on Jehovah. I mean, this is basically a war zone, except it is not an open war. So we know we could die any day, and it will not even be in the newspaper. So it kind of gives me a peace just serving Jehovah and enjoying each day.

Hi Loraine

That sounds so frightening...you really must have to rely on Jehovah...how many are there in your congregation? and have any of these ones who are doing the violence ever come into the truth...

I see it is drug-related violence...I know any war type situation is bad...but it just seems so unbelievably gruesome...

keep in contact with us on this forum...I am sure everyone will be interested in how you and the brothers and sisters are doing...

:welcome:

Thanks Sian for the encouraging words!

We are an English group, part of a Spanish congregation. The group has about 14, the congre. about 100. It is one of six or so congregations here in Mante "City".

I haven't heard of any of the drug people coming into the truth, yet. I'll keep you posted...:)

Mazatlan shooting

My parents live in Mazatlan, so this news article scares me! My brother lives there too and one night him and my dad were watching a shootout from the roof of their building. Their community was in lockdown because of the violence. They watched until someone was shot in front of them! They sent pics of it. It was terrifying. There was even a police helicopter. I just try not to think of it. They don't feel too scared. They are regular pioneering there and loving it. We miss them though. My mom is actually going through a rough time missing us. My sister has a two year old and it is sad she doesn't know grandma.

Stacey