JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Ancient Wine Cellar discovered in Israel

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3804 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Archaeologists say they have discovered a 3,700-year-old wine cellar in Israel, a finding that offers insights into the early roots of wine-making.

The large wine cellar was unearthed in the ruined palace of a Canaanite city in northern Israel, called Tel Kabri, not far from the country's modern wineries and the ancient city of Hazor. The excavations revealed 40 one-meter-tall (about 3 feet) jars kept in what appeared to be a storage room.

Wine residue in the containers was analyzed seems to be a combination of grapes and honey, also flavoured with cinnamon and a type of mint. 

It seems to be of a type the Canaanite Phoenician sea-faring traders shipped all over the Mediterranean and the archaeologists claim it to be the precursor to famed wines of Greece and Italy that the Israelites would be familiar with.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304337404579213652875322822

Reminds me of what the 2 spies brought back to their people waiting outside the promised land. Gigantic bunches of grapes so large that they needed a pole between them to carry them. this is now used as a symbol for Israel's tourism/tourist guides: 

post-571-0-32176500-1385219645.jpg

post-571-0-18303000-1385219804.jpg

Edited by retroHelen

I want to have a vineyard in Paradise.  I think the rolling meadows, hills look so beautiful.  Maybe someone can teach me how to make wine.  

Making wine is easy.A little research and presto your a wine make,Jack Keller has a good site or the winemakerstoystore. As jack would say,if it doesnt walk you can ferment it.My most recent wine has been a mango mint,next is blueberry pomogrant. If you ever try it feel free to ask any questions you may need if I cannot answer I'll point you in the right direction

Oh thank you Larry!  That is something I would like to learn about.  We have an elder who use to be at Bethel.  He is a self-taught wine expert!  He also makes amazing illustrations in his talks and teaching and uses wine making as a comparison.  From soil, grapes, harvest, production you name it--he has an illustration for it!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!