JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I Need Tech help too

In the past I was able to connect my phone and my mp3 player to my computer via a USB port and by clicking on My Computer was able to see what downloads were on my device.When I plug them in now, the are not showing up on "My Computer". Does anyone know why and how to fix it?

In the past I was able to connect my phone and my mp3 player to my computer via a USB port and by clicking on My Computer was able to see what downloads were on my device.When I plug them in now, the are not showing up on "My Computer". Does anyone know why and how to fix it?

When you connect your phone doesn't a menu (or a notification on top) shows up? Make sure you choose the appropriate option from there (something like "connect as usb disk")

For better help share your configurations : phone model, system, etc...

I've done all of that and tne same thing happens on both devices.

Are you sure there are actually files on the devices? Does your machine show each device?

Edited by DW

Are you sure there are actually files on the devices? Does your machine show each device?

Before, when I plugged in each device, they would pop up automatically. Now, each device shows that it's charging, put won't show up on My Computer.

Edited by mserskine

Before, when I plugged in each device, they would pop up automatically. Now, each device shows that it's charging, put won't show up on My Computer.

Ok, let's review:

You have made sure that the USB cable is functional. (You have connected each device using a known good cable)

You have tried at least one other port on your PC. (You know that the USB port on your computer works because other devices work on it)

You have tried the devices on another machine. (You have been able to detect and view the devices and files on another known good PC)

You know that there are readable files on the devices. (You can see the files or play the music on the devices)

You are following the instructions to connect the devices exactly. (You are not missing a step and are using the cable supplied with the device if it is good)

Your answers will determine if the problem is with the PC, the cable, or the device.

Ok, let's review:

You have made sure that the USB cable is functional. (You have connected each device using a known good cable)

You have tried at least one other port on your PC. (You know that the USB port on your computer works because other devices work on it)

You have tried the devices on another machine. (You have been able to detect and view the devices and files on another known good PC)

You know that there are readable files on the devices. (You can see the files or play the music on the devices)

You are following the instructions to connect the devices exactly. (You are not missing a step and are using the cable supplied with the device if it is good)

Your answers will determine if the problem is with the PC, the cable, or the device.

I don't have internet access at my house, so I took my computer to the library that has WY-FI. I turned on my computer and then plugged in my device and it showed up on "My Computer" I don't know if having internet access made a difference or not because I didn't have that problem when I plugged in my devices at home before. Thanks for trying to help.

Mike

On my HP Laptop I have the same problem. The tech guy told me that my usb ports are not working. Even the mouse refuses to do it's job. I had to get a new computer.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

On my HP Laptop I have the same problem. The tech guy told me that my usb ports are not working. Even the mouse refuses to do it's job. I had to get a new computer.

Everything else I plug into my USB ports work. Even my devices charge when plugged into a USB port. It's just that sometimes they don't show up on My Computer.

Everything else I plug into my USB ports work. Even my devices charge when plugged into a USB port. It's just that sometimes they don't show up on My Computer.

That's not uncommon. I have several devices such as external hard drives, and particularly a SATA drive adaptor that have to be plugged and unplugged a couple of times for the PC to recognize them. It is unnerving not to see them there.