JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

If any of you are on Medicare or have a loved one who is...

My Mom was in hospital for two days back in October.  After she was released, she got a bill from the hospital for $221.50 for all the medications she received, except for one, which was not part of her regular drug regimen.  Apparently, if the reason you are in the hospital is not connected in any way to the drugs you normally take, Medicare will now not cover the cost of your drugs.  I bring this up because this has never happened to her before.  Also, I brought her pill box but was told to take it home because they would not know what she had or hadn't taken if she was taking it on her own.  Most of this $221.50 had to do with one drug she takes once a day, 4 days per week, and which is a specialty drug for hyperparathyroidism (she was admitted because we thought she might have had a TIA).  Although she can get a 90-day supply for $87.50 through her drug plan, the hospital charged her $204.00 for TWO pills.  We have written an appeal letter to Medicare, but I don't think we will be seeing reimbursement anytime soon.<sigh>

Whatever the reason, I would bring your meds with you and not let the hospital talk you into taking theirs unless you get something in writing from the billing department saying you won't be owing them.

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

Most hospitals will not take your home medicines because that is how they make money.  If you do bring them, then, please, bring them in the bottle from the drug store.  They MIGHT use them.  Some of our rural hospitals, in the past, have done so but if "big city" - not sure they would.  Anyway, try to talk to the Administrator of the hospital, then the insurance SV,  and go from there.  Oops, seems you have but I can assure you, it will be months, and maybe years before you will hear from M/Care - my experience anyway.  So sorry to hear about her illness and hope she is doing better.

Most hospitals will not take your home medicines because that is how they make money.  If you do bring them, then, please, bring them in the bottle from the drug store.  They MIGHT use them.  Some of our rural hospitals, in the past, have done so but if "big city" - not sure they would.  Anyway, try to talk to the Administrator of the hospital, then the insurance SV,  and go from there.  Oops, seems you have but I can assure you, it will be months, and maybe years before you will hear from M/Care - my experience anyway.  So sorry to hear about her illness and hope she is doing better.

Thing is, this has never happened before.  We couldn't believe it.  We're thinking it's because $700+ billion was taken from Medicare for Obamacare funding, and they have to make up for it somewhere, but we'll probably never know the answer. 

In any case, be careful everyone!

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

• 2 weeks later...

If I wind up in there (hospital) I hope I manage to remember to stick a couple of my own medications in a sealed pocket.  It's true, they are making you pay for the same medication you have at home.   Crooks, anything to make a buck, I doubt if its Obamacare, I see excuses to do harm in more ways then one since this new health care went into effect this month and year 2014.    Its almost like you need a lawyer to protect you in the hospital!