JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I nearly wiped clean my Facebook friends list

But there was nothing about an obligation to delete accounts, actually he said something like "There's nothing wrong with social networking in itself". He has a facebook account himself.

that point was similar to what an elder I was discussing it with said...also a point brought out at the last circuit assembly...

where you can see sometimes apostates on Facebook...going on about witnesses not being allowed on social networks...they are lying...

we are all given cautionary advice...I liken the Internet to drinking alcohol...enjoyable in moderation...but unsafe when it gets out of hand...and the subject of drinking is often written about in cautionary terms ... but again it is a decision we make ourselves whether we drink or not...

• 4 weeks later...

Here on the westcoast, we too heard the same information/warning. They never told to STOP but encouraged us with scriptural counsel about what the results could be. I can understand if your family were miles and miles apart from each other and this is a wonderful way to keep in touch, but so is Skype. Love Skype because this is where I can see and speak to my friend in Costa Rica. So just a reminder what are we doing with the internet. Is it for the good or "bad".

• 3 weeks later...

As one who doesn't like to talk on the phone, and has six siblings in other states as well as a large extended family that lives all over I like Facebook for keeping me in touch with them..

I'm with you Tanya in that I have inlaws who are all over the country and this is the main way we keep intouch. I also keep in contact with cousins etc. this way.

Also because I have a hearing impairment I find it very difficult to have phone conversations. So fb allows me to keep intouch with everyone.

The network of spiritual friends that I have there are great for building me up spiritually, especially those who know when I'm really struggling either physically or mentally.

However, I'm just about to start cleaning out my friends list. So I've posted a warning that I'm going to do that soon, so anyone who wants to stay on my list has to let me know.

I'm so glad I've found this forum too. :-)

I think the whole FB thing is down to conscience at the end of the day. I use mine mainly to communicate with my family and friends who dont live in this country and my mum when neither of us have credit. As for those who want to belittle you over every little thing obviously they missed the reasoning behind Matt 7:1 and Romans 14:10.

There's an article about social networks in the newest Awake (July edition), available since yesterday at www.jw.org.

I just looked up the article Astrid...

What should I know about

social networking? Part 1

Awake

July 2 0 1 1

...which focused mainly on privacy....

the next "young people ask". . .

Social networking can affect your reputation

and your friendships. Find out how.

and I liked this point....

* Awake! neither endorses nor condemns any particular networking

site. Christians should be sure that their use of the Internet

does not violate Bible principles.—1 Timothy 1:5, 19.