JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I nearly wiped clean my Facebook friends list

I decided that I would no longer indiscriminately accept friend requests over on Facebook. I had over 1000+ friends, 700+ of whom I really did not know and claimed to be brothers and sisters. I gave them a week of warnings that if they wanted to remain they had to comment. I kept only 103 from my "JW's? on the web" list.

From henceforth, I will only allow connections between people I have met in real life, or have known on the internet from outside the facebook world to begin with. Likewise, I am no longer accepting requests from strangers whom I have never had any previous contact with at all, physical or electronic.

I rarely engage in theocratic discussions over there (that's what this site is for), and I have a couple hundred non-witness contacts whom I went to school with, work with, family, etc. I got so tired of some random self-righteous person jumping all over my case for something stupid and making us look like fools to non-witnesses, and in my opinion, a fool altogether.

For example, I posted that I saw a movie that everyone in my congregation has seen mind you, only to get belittle and called spiritually weak.

I posted that I got a smartphone, and was told that I lost the battle of integrity and played right into Satan's hands.

I was told that since I have a Facebook account, I am setting a bad example (like, what are THEY doing on facebook???)

I posted a picture of me from before the truth, and was told that I am supposed to represent Jehovah on facebook, and that if I did not take the picture down, they were going to call Bethel.

I had enough, and decided to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I posted that I got a smartphone, and was told that I lost the battle of integrity and played right into Satan's hands.

I agree with that one...:D

I posted a picture of me from before the truth, and was told that I am supposed to represent Jehovah on facebook, and that if I did not take the picture down, they were going to call Bethel.

:lol1:

where do these people come from?...

I decided that I would no longer indiscriminately accept friend requests over on Facebook. I had over 1000+ friends, 700+ of whom I really did not know and claimed to be brothers and sisters.

I know 2 of my elders who have Facebook accounts...and I am sure there are more...but they use it for family and friends...as you say it is indiscriminately acceptence of people ...that is always brought to attention...that causes the trouble.

I think because even as genuine brothers and sisters...we all have different consciences...and it is so quick and easy to fire off messages...especially when we do not have to say it face to face...that things get out of hand.

btw..that was a joke about the smartphone...

Yeah that kinda stuff would rub me up the wrong way. Some of the stuff that was said to you was quite judgemental actually. Imagine that...Satan is having a field day with Jehovah's people Judging and pointing fingers at one another. :hammer::popcorn:

Brothers from different places have different conscience and views. It depends on the culture and background. But we are all brothers and we need to adjust. B/w we should not stumble our brothers and sisters. Brother Bob took a good decision.:chinese:

For example, I posted that I saw a movie that everyone in my congregation has seen mind you, only to get belittle and called spiritually weak.

ehhhh....::o

I posted that I got a smartphone' date=' and was told that I lost the battle of integrity and played right into Satan's hands.[/quote']

:eek:

I was told that since I have a Facebook account' date=' I am setting a bad example (like, what are THEY doing on facebook???)[/quote']

guess they missed an obvious one :oops:

I posted a picture of me from before the truth' date=' and was told that I am supposed to represent Jehovah on facebook, and that if I did not take the picture down, they were going to call Bethel. [/quote']

I'm guessing they were really bored :punk::lol1:

I may be tired and in pain :wheelchair: but I'll never   :surrender: to it just send some encouraging words or hugs  :kisscheek:  :encourage:  and I'll return the same   :kisscheek:  :encourage:

We were told in our cong and by our C.O. that if we didn't have a business that needs FB, then we really should get off it. All but 2 brothers and sisters removed themselves from FB. Almost the whole cong was there. Now we're not. There were lots of scriptural reasons to stay off it. Obviously the "Don't let bad assoc spoil useful habits." That referred to both worldly and witnesses alike. We were counseled NUMEROUS times at the DC, CA, SDA, and Local Needs to get off it. Obviously they can't say "Get off it or you'll be in judicial committee." But the principles applies all around. One brother metioned, if Jehovah and Jesus was here on earth, would they have a Facebook account? I have spoken with many other bros and sis and they all say, "Facebook wasn't mentioned at our DC." Actually it was, but was not said specifically. The brothers use the term "Social Networking" which is the same thing: Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, and the rest.

Sounds a bit like a point from Sunday's talk...on consciences...when discussing entertainment...a brother cannot

tell another brother or sister that they cannot watch this or that programme...you have to decide for yourself with

your Bible trained conscience...taking in all the guidelines and principles...because we all individually answer to Jehovah.

As one who doesn't like to talk on the phone, and has six siblings in other states as well as a large extended family that lives all over I like Facebook for keeping me in touch with them. I also think that Jehovah used Facebook to bring me back in the truth as when the Witnesses would come to my door I hid upstairs and they had just been by a few weeks before when I was seriously thinking about returning to Jehovah. A very good friend from childhood who was in my congregation got in touch with me on Facebook and pestered me about giving Jehovah another chance until I caved :surrender: I am sure glad she did now! She lives clear across the country but managed to call Bethel at 9 at night and find out what congregation I should go to and called the hall and spoke to someone there from another congregation who had the number for our Congregation Overseer and they were in touch with me in no time. I think that we definitely need to be careful who we associate with on Facebook, but within certain parameters it should be okay based on our individual conscience.

I think that we definitely need to be careful who we associate with on Facebook, but within certain parameters it should be okay based on our individual conscience.

THIS SO MUCH^^^^^^

I may be tired and in pain :wheelchair: but I'll never   :surrender: to it just send some encouraging words or hugs  :kisscheek:  :encourage:  and I'll return the same   :kisscheek:  :encourage:

We were told in our cong and by our C.O. that if we didn't have a business that needs FB, then we really should get off it.

Oh good grief! This CO is speaking out of turn.

Many families use the site to keep eachother up to date, plan activities, and share photos, which is especially useful when they do not live close by to eachother. Granted, they could have a mailing list, or just use email, but the site makes it convenient and easy. Those who use it for this purpose certainly are not doing anything wrong.

All but 2 brothers and sisters removed themselves from FB. Almost the whole cong was there. Now we're not.

We have had "social networking" discussed at Circuit Assemblies. A CO who was the instructor at my KMS school I attended for servants and elders said that social networking is "a problem that just took off... ZOOM!... and we really don't know what to do about it", but this was in reference to young ones getting into trouble because of bad associations.

There has been no counsel given in our congregation, and the majority of us have Facebook accounts, including 2 elders.

There were lots of scriptural reasons to stay off it. Obviously the "Don't let bad assoc spoil useful habits." That referred to both worldly and witnesses alike. We were counseled NUMEROUS times at the DC, CA, SDA, and Local Needs to get off it.

Not at ours. We get counsel to beware of the dangers of this or that, but never told to get off anything.

Obviously they can't say "Get off it or you'll be in judicial committee." But the principles applies all around.

Because it is not a disfellowshipping offense. In fact, it is not an offense at all.

We had 2 examples at the KMS school. One involved a congregation where the young ones had gotten involved in unscriptural conduct. Once it came to light and the elders started investigating, the young ones used {either MySpace or Facebook} to warn others that the elders were on to them.

Another example was of a party with a mix of worldly people and witnesses, organized by a witness (the son of an elder no less), that attracted over 100 witness youths from across 3 states. Many of them got involved in immoral conduct such as underage drinking at the minimum.

So yes, it can be misused and abused, and is a powerful tool to just hand over to a young one without some sort of parental oversight (kinda like teenagers with smartphones... how stupid is that!).

One brother metioned, if Jehovah and Jesus was here on earth, would they have a Facebook account?

Would they have a home? A car? A computer? A job?

There are times when that illustration fits, and then there is milking it to death.

I have spoken with many other bros and sis and they all say, "Facebook wasn't mentioned at our DC." Actually it was, but was not said specifically. The brothers use the term "Social Networking" which is the same thing: Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, and the rest.

You are right (and I didn't catch this earlier). Social networking is mentioned. But I'll repeat, we are never told not to have an account. We are cautioned against the potential dangers that come from misuse, as well as admonished to ask ourselves "Is this really something I need? Is this sucking up too much of my time to the point of spiritual things getting pushed to the background?" but are never told what to do because the faithful slave and our organization is not about making rules or telling us what to do. Quite the opposite, we are admonished to accept counsel, and then use our own free thinking abilities to come to a conclusion that is right for us.

My little rant here is not directed at you, brother Micah, but towards some of these extreme things I tire of hearing from time to time. I have little tolerance for unreasonableness.

*** g 3/07 p. 5 Helping Youths Meet the Challenge ***

As with any mode of communication, online social networks can have legitimate uses as well as potential abuses.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I think that we definitely need to be careful who we associate with on Facebook, but within certain parameters it should be okay based on our individual conscience.

Agree!

I wouldn't say that Jehovah used Facebook, but Jehovah certainly did use your friend. Your friend just happened to use Facebook to reach out to you. They could have used other means of communicating, but this was the most convenient, readily available, and (now obvious since you are with us) effective means of reaching you.

[so yes, it can be misused and abused, and is a powerful tool to just hand over to a young one without some sort of parental oversight (kinda like teenagers with smartphones... how stupid is that!).

Hey ....there are some responsible teens....like me (tu)

Quite the opposite' date=' we are admonished to accept counsel, and then use our own free thinking abilities to come to a conclusion that is right for us.[/quote']

I understand you are irritated about this so you probably misspoke here but we should do whats right according to the bible.

13 In accepting Jehovah’s authority, we need to guard against an independent spirit. A haughty attitude can cause us to feel that we do not need guidance from anyone. For example, we might resist counsel given by those taking the lead among God’s people. God has established an arrangement by which a faithful and discreet slave class provides spiritual food at the proper time. (Matt. 24:45-47) We should humbly recognize that this is the way Jehovah is caring for his people today. Be like the faithful apostles. When some disciples were stumbled, Jesus asked the apostles: “You do not want to go also, do you?” Peter replied: “Lord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life.”—John 6:66-68.

14 Accepting Jehovah’s authority involves responding to counsel based on his Word. For example, the faithful and discreet slave class has been admonishing us to “stay awake and keep our senses.” (1 Thess. 5:6) Such counsel is very appropriate during these last days in which many are “lovers of themselves, lovers of money.” (2 Tim. 3:1, 2) Could we be affected by such prevailing attitudes? Yes. Nonspiritual goals could lull us into spiritual sleep, or we might adopt a materialistic attitude. (Luke 12:16-21) Hence, how wise it is to accept the Bible’s counsel and avoid the self-serving lifestyle that is so prevalent in Satan’s world!—1 John 2:16.

My wife and I too recently had an issue with Face book. We also liked to use it to keep in touch with our family because of it's convenience. But the issue arose when my wife's Father who is not a witness posted his pictures of his trip to Sturgis on my wife's wall. Not cool! There where many pictures of nudity. Hence all the younger ones in the hall saw them indiscriminately. Big trouble little china town! Everything was completely innocent and I'm sure there are better guards for this type of thing on Facebook now, but people were stumbled regardless. So we opted out of Facebook just in case there is something else we might not anticipate. Like whats been said before on this thread cation is key if were to show love to our brothers.

"One brother metioned, if Jehovah and Jesus was here on earth, would they have a Facebook account?"

For the longest, many Witnesses considered the Internet as something evil. So it could also have been asked at one time if Jehovah and Jesus were here on earth, would they be using the Internet?

www.watchtower.org

www.jw.org

www.jw-media.org

It could also be asked if Jehovah and Jesus were here on earth, would they be using email, cell phones, computers, MP3 players, video players, etc., etc., etc.

We are all at different spiritual levels. And we sometimes hear - even from the platform I dare say - personal opinions about how we should be serving our Divine God Jehovah.

I heard an elder state from the platform one evening that the Society said to refrain from social networking. I went right home and looked it up on www.watchtower.org. I went there instead of the Watchtower Library because I wanted the most current information. There were three articles. In them, the Branch addressed social networking, but said nothing at all about refraining from it.

"As with any mode of communication, online social networks can have legitimate uses as well as potential abuses." That quote is from www.watchtower.org in an article on social networking (Helping Youths Meet the Challenge). But I did not go back and say anything to that Brother.

Another good example of differing personal opinions are those related to Bible talks (KM 4/2010). How many varying opinions of that have we heard - even on this forum?

There are some things that need only be kept between ourselves and Jehovah.

“In the abundance of words there does not fail to be transgression, but the one keeping his lips in check is acting discreetly.” Proverbs 10:19

[so yes, it can be misused and abused, and is a powerful tool to just hand over to a young one without some sort of parental oversight (kinda like teenagers with smartphones... how stupid is that!).

Hey ....there are some responsible teens....like me (tu)

Well there are certainly ones who are responsible enough and mature enough, especially older teens.

But since you put the whole world at one's fingertips with a smartphone, it's a dangerous proposition. We get counsel to put the family computer in a high traffic visible area of the house. A smartphone is a computer that fits in the palm of your hand and can be taken anywhere, especially out of sight.

With issues such as "sexting" that came with picture messaging 5+ years ago, these new phones can browse anything on the internet and record in high definition video. The problems can be compounded when in the hands of an irresponsible youth.

We had this very point mentioned recently at a Circuit Assembly... about whether we really need these gadgets, and would a good parent give them to their children.

Quite the opposite' date=' we are admonished to accept counsel, and then use our own free thinking abilities to come to a conclusion that is right for us.[/quote']

I understand you are irritated about this so you probably misspoke here but we should do whats right according to the bible.

I did not misspeak, and you are also correct. Your statement should have be inferred in mine.

Allow me to clarify:

We are never collectively told to get off facebook. The faithful slave is not in the business of telling people what to do.

We are cautioned against the the dangers that can come with social networking sites...

• Socializing with people you do not know - beware! (Psalm 26:4)
  • Socializing with non-witnesses - beware! (Galatians 2:4)
  • Allowing your children to socialize through it - beware! (Proverbs 31:27)
  • Allowing the site/service to suck away your time - beware! (Ephesians 5:15, 16)

After receiving the cautions, it is up to each individuals Bible trained conscience to decide what to do.

Now, an elder may counsel and admonish an individual to perhaps get rid of their facebook account, especially if the individual struggles in any one or more of the areas where we receive cautionary counsel, and of course, this is done with the intent of protecting the individual from getting himself into some kind of harm.

But if an individual hears the warnings, and determines that they do not apply in his personal situation, then he can do what he wants since he is not violating any Bible principles.

Proverbs 2:11-12 “Thinking ability itself will keep guard over you, discernment itself will safeguard you, to deliver you from the bad way.”

So when I said the above, making a decision in harmony with Bible counsel was meant to be inferred.

My wife and I too recently had an issue with Face book. We also liked to use it to keep in touch with our family because of it's convenience. But the issue arose when my wife's Father who is not a witness posted his pictures of his trip to Sturgis on my wife's wall. Not cool! There where many pictures of nudity. Hence all the younger ones in the hall saw them indiscriminately. Big trouble little china town! Everything was completely innocent and I'm sure there are better guards for this type of thing on Facebook now, but people were stumbled regardless. So we opted out of Facebook just in case there is something else we might not anticipate. Like whats been said before on this thread cation is key if were to show love to our brothers.

It is always good to err on the side of caution.

And yes, there are several security options and permissions that you can check and uncheck in your facebook settings that would have prevented this. A persons ability to customize their account on that site is actually fantastic and detailed, but along with that, sometimes complicated and confusing for some.

Can I just add...from a personal experience...which I saw the elders about...a matter on the Internet...

I was given printed copies of the KM's and a talk on CD by the district overseerer...

I was then told I had to make the decision myself what I wanted to do regarding the Internet...no one else could tell me what to do...

and by my choice I would personally answer to Jehovah about it...and this was regards to social networks and talk forums such as this...

We are all at different spiritual levels. And we sometimes hear - even from the platform I dare say - personal opinions about how we should be serving our Divine God Jehovah.

Just to be clear, I am not criticizing the elders in any way. I respectfully submit to their direction and guidance and leave everything else to their head, Jesus. But they are human, and personal opinions sometimes creep in.

We are directed to ..,

“. . .Make sure of all things; hold fast to what is fine.” 1 Thessalonians 5:21

I'll sometimes hear something that I want further clarification on. If it's not coming directly from the Slave, I'll make sure that what I heard was correct. Jehovah provided us with the resources to enable us to do that and I take full advantage of them.

The Slave I would never question.

Just to be clear ...

Agape friends,

Linda

Just today we've had a "social networking" talk as a part of the Local Needs. The focus was on parents' awareness of what their children do on the internet and social networks in particular. The elder giving the talk mentioned using SN for wrong purposes (2 examples mentioned by Dismall_Bliss), posting inappropriate photos, discussing inappropriate things etc. But there was nothing about an obligation to delete accounts, actually he said something like "There's nothing wrong with social networking in itself". He has a facebook account himself. And bear in mind that Ukraine is terribly conservative, most things that are quite normal in the USA and Europe (and i mean for brothers) here are frowned upon or considered bluntly outrageous.