JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Wow, the weather we've been having!

bagwell1987

A modest picking from today. This lettuce collection is going to one of my best friends, who's driving to the doctor with me tomorrow. A 51/2 hour journey, what a good friend.

post-1083-0-53651600-1404688333_thumb.jp

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Nope, no salad for Samme tomorrow, she'll put it in the fridg. It's chilled meatloaf with mustard, peaches, sliced cucumber and gatorade. All home made/grown. Good feeling on that.

B, let me know when you try planting Kale and even swiss chard, it's supposed to be just as good. Like to know how it goes for you. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Not sure I'll attempt it this year because I've got enough going just trying to keep my day lillies alive! (Aphid infestation the last two years!) But when I decide for sure, I'll let you know. Thanks again for all your help!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

Oh wow, that's beautiful! I wish I could eat it. 

Lance grows it too? Now it grows a lot like lettuce right? A bit more sturdy in the sun than lettuce but likes it cooler as opposed to hotter?

• 4 weeks later...

Well, here's a short update. I harvested all my potatoes. Got 12 quarts canned, and gave my BFF some and have a bag in the fridg for Lew's dinner. Replanted 9 hills of reds/russets. Cut 7 feet off the pumpkin. It has at least 3 big pumpkins on it and hopefully I can get enough to can. The cucumbers are going wild. I have picked 10, at the RC I ate cucumbers until I was sick of them!! I picked green beans today and added them to a bag of lettuce, yellow bottle neck zuchinni, and cucumbers for a brother.   

post-1083-0-55975500-1406859945_thumb.jp

post-1083-0-42368900-1406859963_thumb.jp

post-1083-0-41257000-1406860002_thumb.jp

Oh, I had to pull the green curly lettuce, it was going to seed and getting bitter. I had to plant new lettuce, it looks kinda limp here but it's just been planted. This was 5 days ago, it looks better now. 

post-1083-0-60428800-1406860577_thumb.jp

Lord, I had no idea you could CAN potato's! Are they mushy? What is the best type of potatoe to can? Is it hard? How does swiss chard compare with Kale in taste? Cheryl, you and I need to be neighbors in the new system - I sure could learn alot from you! Sorry, I'm full of questions since seeing those pictures!

I learned about the benefit of canned potatoes a couple years ago. If you want potato salad, fried potatoes for breakfast or anything else you'll need cooked potatoes for you'll love canned potatoes. They are NOT mushy. I won't eat mushy anything!

It's not hard. And aren't they beautiful!! I am so proud of them. I tried to not sound like I'm bragging but I'm so very proud what my soil and efforts have given me. In the new system I will do so much of this, Jehovah willing! And B I'll be happy to teach you. I preserve everything. You want to learn? You betcha I'll teach you!

Edited by bagwell1987

Well, In that case I don't think you answered my question about the Kale? How does the taste between Kale and Swiss Chard differ? Can you use them in the same way?Not trying to sound like Mr. Rogers but "will you be my neighbor?" LOL

I really don't know the difference. I can't eat them. I do know that people grow them and use them in the same way. Miss Mouse has responded about Kale and Swiss Chard so maybe she knows, Oh and Lance knows about it too. They are the best to ask about it.

jars, lids, rings, pressure canner.

Fill jars with potatoes to 1/2 inch below top, fill with boiling light salt water, I use sea salt, wipe rims, put on lids and rings. 

Place in canner- 7 qts p/canner- put on the lid and heat to boiling. Let canner vent steam for 8-10 minutes then put on the bobber thingy- forgot what it's called.

Bring up to 10 pounds pressure and adjust heat to keep it there. I'm at sea level so I do 10 pounds but the pressure varies according to where you are. 

process for 30 minutes then turn off heat and let pressure go down till the button falls, remove jars and let cool over night.

Sounds like it's a lot of steps but after a while it's automatic. I did pickled beets yesterday, now THAT"S a lot of work. Took me 6 hours to get 15 quarts. But it's so worth it, they're beautiful and delicious.