JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Pope Francis Holds First Meeting With Abuse Victims

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3571 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

This is on tonight on PBS. I read some of this but it was so unproductive in it's efforts in apologizing that it made me shake my head. The pope is apologizing! Really? Did he do these things, nope, but he's speaking for the bad guys who did. How lame of an apology is that. It would be like one of our elders apologizing FOR a wrongdoer, how meaningful would that be to the victim?   

Just thought I'd post it in case someone wants to record it. 

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/religion/secrets-of-the-vatican/pope-francis-holds-first-meeting-with-abuse-victims/

Pope Francis asked for forgiveness from six victims of clerical sexual abuse on Monday, during the first such meeting since he became pontiff.

“Before God and his people, I express my sorrow for the sins and grave crimes of clerical sexual abuse committed against you. And I humbly ask forgiveness,” the pope said during Mass with the victims.

Secrets of the Vatican, FRONTLINE’s investigation into the scandals that rocked Benedict’s papacy and the challenges facing Pope Francis as he looks to reform the Vatican, rebroadcasts tomorrow night on most PBS stations. Check your local listingshere.

For decades, the Roman Catholic Church has been dogged by clergy sex abuse scandals, with critics accusing church officials of sheltering accused priests instead of referring them to civil authorities. In May, a UN report found that church officials still resist reporting these crimes and largely handle them internally, choosing to defrock priests or consign them to a life of prayer rather than handing them over to civil authorities.

Since becoming pontiff, Francis has taken some steps toward addressing clerical sexual abuse, including redefining sexual violence against children as a crime, and establishing an advisory board called the Pontifical Commission for the Protection of Minors tasked with developing protocols for the church in cases of sexual abuse.

The goal is to improve accountability for church officials who fail to report abuse allegations, said Boston’s Cardinal Sean O’Malley, a member of the advisory board, which consists of three clergy and five laypeople.

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

At least he has said something. This pope has done more for the children of the Catholic Church than the last 264 popes.

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

I think it's admirable that the Pope is apologizing and committing to change the church's past practices. (These victims were harmed either directly or indirectly by the policies their leaders had in place)

It's a start and I'm sure that it will be well received by those victims and their families who have chosen the path of forgiveness.