JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Shrimp and corn chowder

I'm not sure if it's low carb or not. There isn't too many bad ingredients so I'm really not worried. I'll make it this week. We have local fish markets that are open again so I like to make fish-oriented soups because they're usually easy and low fat. Not just that- I can take a thermos of it for work in the morning, easy peasy.

Shrimp and Corn Chowder

Prep Time 10 minutes

Cook Time 30 minutes

Total Time 40 minutes

Yield 4 servings

IMG_1129edit.jpg

An easy, creamy chowder that's incredibly smoky, sweet and packed with tons of flavor!

Ingredients

• 4 slices bacon, diced
  • 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 3 cloves garlic, diced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 teaspoons smoked paprika, or more, to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 4 cups chicken stock
  • 2 cups corn kernels, frozen, canned or roasted
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves

Instructions

• Heat a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Drain excess fat, reserving 1 tablespoon.
  • Add shrimp to the stockpot, and cook, stirring occasionally, until pink, about 2-3 minutes; set aside.
  • Add garlic and onion to the stockpot, and cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in paprika, oregano, basil and red pepper flakes until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
  • Whisk in chicken stock, corn and bay leaf. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 12-15 minutes; discard bay leaf. Add heavy cream and puree with an immersion blender.*
  • Serve immediately with shrimp, garnished with bacon and parsley leaves, if desired.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

I know most probably like smoked chinook over pinks. The humpy's are a little oiler, either way smoked salmon is such a treat.

Have you tried geoduck clam chowder Cheryl ?  It's quite the delicacy...but a bit pricier, unless you can harvest your own.    :ok:

Edited by Precision