JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

All Things Fermented/Beet Kvass

This morning I was visiting my gardening buddy Cathy, I shared with her my love of all things fermented and love summer because I can ferment stuff from my own garden. Surprising to me was the fact she didn't know anything about fermenting!

Well I love beet kvass, and told her I had a jar going and was planning on straining it to drink and make another batch tomorrow. She looked squeemish but agreed to come by and taste it on Thursday. It's super healthful, good for the blood and liver. It's tart, I like mine a bit more bubbly and fermented so I usually leave it on the counter for a week or so.

My next thing is cabbage and carrot. So good I can eat it out of the jar. Nourishing to the gut.

Has anyone, does anyone do fermented foods?

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Well, I 'burped' my jar of cabbage and carrot and got juice all over me and the floor. Sigh. Well the jar is now in a container.

My beet kvass is doing super good. It's been hot here, 80 to 91 today (!) so the fermenting has accelerated. I will have sauerkraut and kvass much sooner than planned.

I drink have a 4 oz glass of kvass in the morning as I leave for work, feels so good!!    

I hope more people try fermenting, it's old thought process and so good for you. Cucumbers are coming on so guess what's next?

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Has anyone tried making kombucha? I have a friend who has tried it and her family loves it. I should give it a go because it is so expensive to purchase it as a drink. I do like to get it as a treat though as I don't generally drink soft drink or sodas only soda water and water along with tea and coffee.

I made kombucha many years ago when I learned off its existence on Oprah. Looking back, it's surprising that my husband put up with it because of the vinegary smell. I know what you mean....I just bought a bottle for $3.49 this morning. I rarely do that but my liver feels clogged today. It comes in a nice glass bottle at least.