JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Lemon Verbena

While shopping at Whole Foods today I walked past their large herb section and the smell of this wonderful plant drew me in.  I immediately remembered years ago growing these plants in my patio containers in LA.  The warm, sunny climate lent itself well to the growing of this plant.  The smell of the plants flooded me with memories and I almost felt like crying.  It brought back the time when my boys were still at home and how much I enjoyed doing/fixing things for them.  Where did the time go?  Now they live half way around the world and do not depend on me to "fix" things for them.  They are capable of doing it their selves. 

But it brought back a time where I immediately felt young and needed.  I remember cutting the leafs of this plant and putting it in the bottom of mason jars and filling with sugar for baking.  The sugar would absorb the lemon flavor and it was indescribable. I would use it for tea, or baking.  So good.  Also I could clip the leafs finely with an herb scissor and stir with butter then make balls and freeze them.  Put them in a baggie and take one or two out as needed for vegetables or pancakes, or pumpkin bread.  Or just hot rolls from the oven.  Or fish.  So versatile.  I bought the only two plants they had and came home and froze some in ice cube trays to have this winter for cooking.  I will try and drown them as long as the winter does not get too harsh.  Oklahoma winters are vastly different than LA winters!

here is a clipping from an article about lemon Verbena.

never mind.  Can get it to copy...

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

A smell, a song, a face can immediately transport us back in time and those feelings just come flooding through.  I remember a class I took talking about the emotional attachment is so strong when linked with our senses.  If you ever are having a time you want to remember put on music and set and reflect on the things around you and when you think again those feelings will return.   

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!