JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

New here - looking for an online school

Hello, My daughter Kim moved in with me 3 years ago. Christopher who is 8 is her son . I am charge of most of his upbringing because of my daughters disabilities. Christopher has ADHD and has done well in public school until now. I am looking for an on line school. Any info would be appreciated. 

Your sister,

JanBar

Hello, My daughter Kim moved in with me 3 years ago. Christopher who is 8 is her son . I am charge of most of his upbringing because of my daughters disabilities. Christopher has ADHD and has done well in public school until now. I am looking for an on line school. Any info would be appreciated. 

Your sister,

JanBar

I currently use a cyber school in Pennsylvania. This will be my last year, I hate it but my husband wants me to give it one more shot. Next year I will developing my own curriculum. I do know however, from some friends who homeschool with ADHD kids like the structure of a cyber school. It forces them to be consistent. I would like more flexibility and more control as the teacher but in due time. Btw my son starts 1 grade on Monday.

Dear Sister Janice,I don't have any experience in Arizona Home Schooling, but I have been a school teacher in Maine, NH, and NY, and home schooled my own children in Maine and met with other Witness families in NH.  Home schooling in Maine and New Hampshire was easy.  NY is highly regulated. People can join online home-school groups to get info on what flies in their State. They are easier to comprehend than just reading the state law. (not suggesting personal interaction and activities with other home school families.)   I highly recommend home schooling, but don't know of a distance learning program that I would personally use. I wrote all my sons' material when they were homeschooling. Whatever you do, It will far exceed what is going on in public schools these days. There is no standardized testing requirement in Arizona, and you can observe and evaluate your own student's progress. I would look up a typical curriculum for his grade and create a flexible outline. Using our Awake magazine and a separate math program will cover much more than what is taught in school and fulfill most curricula requirements. Most States require 1 semester in the study of their own state's history, usually in mIddle school. Hold on to your hat. It's going to be a wonderful year.  p.s. Two of my sons were diagnosed as ADHD. 

• 2 weeks later...

I personally wouldn't suggest a online one. As AZ laws are so lax and easy. 

If you need help putting something together there is four that are completely out of the public school realm, but online, and free-

Amblesideonline.com 

OldFashionedEducation.com

Allinonehomeschool.com

discoveryk12.com

• 1 month later...

I currently use a cyber school in Pennsylvania. This will be my last year, I hate it but my husband wants me to give it one more shot. Next year I will developing my own curriculum. I do know however, from some friends who homeschool with ADHD kids like the structure of a cyber school. It forces them to be consistent. I would like more flexibility and more control as the teacher but in due time. Btw my son starts 1 grade on Monday.

Connections Academy

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Do you like connections academy? And if you don't mind what were your reasons for choosing it?

I used the online public school one year each for two of my daughters. Kindergarten and 8th. The reasons were different for each child. Now I think about it my oldest and youngest 10 yrs apart did CA.

There is no cost because it is a public school. That was a huge factor. They also send you everything your student will need.

As the learning coach I was able to modify the lessons. I would have continued with CA but we were fortunate to have a wonderful grade school and now my girls go to a great proficiency academy.

I used the online public school one year each for two of my daughters. Kindergarten and 8th. The reasons were different for each child. Now I think about it my oldest and youngest 10 yrs apart did CA.

There is no cost because it is a public school. That was a huge factor. They also send you everything your student will need.

As the learning coach I was able to modify the lessons. I would have continued with CA but we were fortunate to have a wonderful grade school and now my girls go to a great proficiency academy.

So you don't school at home anymore than?

Just to clarify, there is not any kind of national public school. All schools and education laws, are dependant on each state. There is not any cyber schools in NY, also NY is probably one of the more difficult states law wise to homeschool in, although it is doable! 

I personally did use a virtual school, so glad to be free of it. This year we are relying heavily on out of copy right old school books and loving it. And of course just life! Life lessons are so important. And Bible... learning our spiritual history and daily Bible reading, etc. 

Really I use our publications for all the subjects as well-LA, Science, History, Social Studies, Music, Art.... :)