JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What is your best memory?

One of mine is attending the Peace on Earth assembly in Nuremberg, Germany in 1969.

It was held in the Zeppelin field where Hitler had given a speech saying he would exterminate Jehovah's witnesses.

There were 150,000 there on the Sunday + a terrific thunderstorm occurred after the final talk was given.

Sure is a good memory.

In the early 1970's Britain went through a period called by the media "The Winter of Discontent" Unions were calling all sorts of trades out on strike. Trucks werent' delivering to shops, so food was emptying off the shelves - especially bread. Coal miners were on strike and power sations were running out of fuel, so electricity was rationed - suddenly turned off at various times and the streets were pitch black, like during the Second World War, without street lighting. In the evenings we would sit at home, the room lit with candles doing toast by the fire listening to Mother reading stories as the TV was off. Electricity only came on for a few hours at lunchtime,so mother cooked then and kept things in the oven simmering until we got home from school. Before the evening Theocratic School+Service meeting we had pioneers around for tea with us. We ate homemade bread and quiche by candlelight and then with torches and candles in empty jam-jars with wire handles (Dad made) we all held hands and set off for the meeting. At the meeting we had a question and answer item and the brother on the platform with only his bicycle lamp could not see anyone in the audience, only their method of lighting, so we raised that to answer and he would say "The torch on the front row" or "the candle in a jar on the 3rd row" and the person holding it would answer and we would realise who they were - recognising the voice in the dark! We children thought it was all fun and a big laugh, but we still cheered with everyone when the lights suddenly came on at the end of the meeting when we were ready to go home.

My best memory would be when my kids were born.

Spiritually, it would be watching my husband get baptized. I was baptized years earlier, went inactive and got married. Years later, seeing him get baptized was the most thrilling moment for me.