JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Steroid eye drops reverse cataracts in mice (and hopefully in humans)

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3092 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

http://news.sciencemag.org/health/2015/11/steroid-eye-drops-reverse-cataracts-mice

More than half of Americans over the age of 70 have cataracts, caused by clumps of proteins collecting in the eye lens. The only way to remove them is surgery, an unavailable or unaffordable option for many of the 20 million people worldwide who are blinded by the condition. Now, a new study in mice suggests eye drops made with a naturally occurring steroid could reverse cataracts by teasing apart the protein clumps.

Maybe in some years doctors will be able to heal cataracts without surgery.

I used these drops in my eyes (steroid) because they get inflamed.   They really do help out, I could actually drive a few times in the dark and the glare from the lights didn't bother me as much.   But I had to stop using the steroid because the cost for a tiny bottle went up ($120.00) and my insurance would not pay for it anymore.  Just hoping each day as we pray "let your kingdom come" will soon become a reality! 

Edited by allabord4jah