JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Stifling Sweltering Scorcher Too Hot to Handle Heat Wave:infatuated:

These are just some of the headlines making the news on the East Coast. Put some water on it ! The grass temperature was measured at 155 degrees and the swing sets 131 degrees. It's so hot can't even spit out the words. A reporter actually cooked a steak on the dash of his car. So how are you coping ???

We have had 22 straight days of 100+ temps, 28 days total. It's been real tough, service is really hard, especially on the older ones and the kids. We are just dealing with it. My husband works outside, so it's rough on him. His company provides gatorade, so that helps. He has a physical job and between that and the heat, the Gatorade really helps.

These are just some of the headlines making the news on the East Coast. Put some water on it ! The grass temperature was measured at 155 degrees and the swing sets 131 degrees. It's so hot can't even spit out the words. A reporter actually cooked a steak on the dash of his car. So how are you coping ???
Swimming Pool and Air Conditioning. Our AC broke down on Tuesday and we had to put out almost $4000.00 for a new one because ours was so old they couldn't fix it.

43094=1838-Shines_small.gif

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

We don't have a pool to retreat to but our AC broke also.

My husband is disabled and cannot handle the heat so a brother from another hall came over & fixed it for us. Ours was old also and they no longer carry the parts anywhere but he talked to our local supply store and they told him what to do. Since it was a capacitor failure they had him purchase a newer capacitor which wouldn't fit and jump past the old one to get the AC working again. We are so thankful he did and he didn't charge us anything but the gas money to get to our house and the cost of the part. It's brothers like this who really are a treasure in the congregations!

electric bill out of control for having to run the air condition day and night.....

Just got my new electric bill, $370, insane.

wow...but for Jehovahs help we would all be toast!

Visit my website: www.Hcgessentials.com

Growth Demands Change!

electric bill out of control for having to run the air condition day and night.....

Just got my new electric bill, $370, insane.

wow...but for Jehovahs help we would all be toast!

Yep, I have a 2 story house, that's why it is so high. With 100+ temps and the house, the air conditioning is running non stop. I have it at 78 degrees, and what's sad, it's not even that cold in the house, lol. Better then outside, but it's frustrating paying these bills and not having my house that cold.

Here in Georgia it is always hot and very humid, so this is not new for us. We have not been using our AC because the bill is just too high. (almost $600 for July of last year.) We have a huge fan in one of the upstairs windows, blowing out, and keep the other doors up there shut, and the windows downstairs open. It pulls a lot of air through. This was working quite well until a storm blew down the huge tree shading the house in the front. It fell right onto the house, but fortunately did no major damage. We sure miss it, though! Now the fan is pulling much hotter air :( We are so acclimated to the heat that now when we get in an air conditioned house or car, we freeze!

We keep our temp between 80 and 82 and that's good for us. When I come to work the ladies I care for need it on 74 degrees. I am cold the whole week I work. I don't know how they pay for it. Must be subsidised somehow because they are both on SSI. Things are going to get worse for them because they are reducing the help that they are able to get. Families don't want the responsibility of caring for them. It is really sad. They've cut so much funding the mental and handicapped will soon be out of assistance.

Things are really getting so that soon we may all have to move in with each other. In our congregation we have about 6 or 7 single brothers and sisters, living alone in 3 and 4 bedroom homes. Personally I can't understand why they don't share their homes with others in their same situation, but they don't want too. We have almost always had someone staying with us until I had to go to work. I think people are just going to have to bite the bullet and start sharing what they have. In any case, things are getting harder and harder to manage. Wish I could do more to help my brothers and sisters out.8-)

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

We keep our temp between 80 and 82 and that's good for us. When I come to work the ladies I care for need it on 74 degrees. I am cold the whole week I work. I don't know how they pay for it. Must be subsidised somehow because they are both on SSI. Things are going to get worse for them because they are reducing the help that they are able to get. Families don't want the responsibility of caring for them. It is really sad. They've cut so much funding the mental and handicapped will soon be out of assistance.

Things are really getting so that soon we may all have to move in with each other. In our congregation we have about 6 or 7 single brothers and sisters, living alone in 3 and 4 bedroom homes. Personally I can't understand why they don't share their homes with others in their same situation, but they don't want too. We have almost always had someone staying with us until I had to go to work. I think people are just going to have to bite the bullet and start sharing what they have. In any case, things are getting harder and harder to manage. Wish I could do more to help my brothers and sisters out.8-)

I have thought this for some time. I totally agree with you. Even the 2010 US Census revealed that more and more families are moving in together and sharing the costs of one home during this tough economic environment. And I can see this becoming more and more common in the congregation as well.

I just offered our guest room to a young single pioneer sister who is in a difficult situation at home. She is the only witness in her family, her father is df'd, and it appears she is going to have to move out very soon.

We need to start preparing our mind for worse things to come, because it is not going to get better and we are going to get to a point where we really need to depend on our brothers and sisters.

I hate to rub this in folks... but it is a beautiful cool 68 degrees here today, low cloud and soft rain.... I simply do not know how you all handle the heat :sunshine:

Sounds wonderful, wish I was there. Ireland is a country I have always wanted to visit, my sister has been there twice. Scotland is another one I want to see.

Being born in a country that has these high temps during the summer months, I guess you just get use to it. Not fun though.

No pool here either. We have a brother staying with us . . . he's one of the volunteers working in Joplin, repairing/building the brothers houses that were destroyed or damaged in the May tornado. Well, our AC quit working sometime through the night. We too (including Joplin), have been enduring 100 or more degree tempts, (38 + Celsius) with no relief in sight for yet another week. We rent so of course, we call the landlord, but as of yet we have not heard from him. These old AC units just can not handle the load this year.

"Life can be understood by looking back but it must be lived by looking ahead".