JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Yorkshire puddings

Do you non-uk people eat Yorkshire puddings? I was wondering tonight (I made them for dinner) traditionally they are served as part of a roast dinner when you have beef, but I like them with every roast dinner.  They are so yummy. And the best thing is they work as a dessert too, my youngest didn't eat his dinner, so I scoffed his covered in butter and jam (or jelly as you might say!) for dessert :eat:

image.jpeg

Because NZ was made up of a lot of English Aristocrats who came out on the first sailings  English recipes are very well received here, we love yorkshire puds but to make them properly you need a lot of fat - and so they are only for special occasions here.  NZ also prefers british programs and humour too. 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Oh I love that! Only had it once on a cruise ship. And anything UK is good for me! Ummm, well most things. 

Say, what do you call spaghetti with meat sauce? A Brit who moved here called it by another name, I forgot.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

I've never had the pleasure of tasting yorkshire pudding, but I imagine them to be fabulous tasting.  Some months ago I was watching Jamie Oliver's youtube channel and he made yorkshire pudding which looked mouth-watering to say the least.

By the way, many Americans call them "popovers".  As someone had told the story a few years ago, an American popovered to England at some point and noticed how delicious they were, stole the recipe, so he/she made a popover back to the U.S. and decided to call it something different. :lol:

9 hours ago, Stormswift said:

Because NZ was made up of a lot of English Aristocrats who came out on the first sailings  English recipes are very well received here, we love yorkshire puds but to make them properly you need a lot of fat - and so they are only for special occasions here.  NZ also prefers british programs and humour too. 

I don't actually use that much fat, just a bit of vegetable oil in each section of the tin, maybe a couple of teaspoons. You have to use an oil that gets really hot, so olive oil is no good.

6 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

Oh I love that! Only had it once on a cruise ship. And anything UK is good for me! Ummm, well most things. 

Say, what do you call spaghetti with meat sauce? A Brit who moved here called it by another name, I forgot.

You will have to try and make them!

i just call it spaghetti bolognese...or spag Bol for short! Sometimes the sauce is called ragu...I don't really know what the difference is between ragu and bolognese though.

1 hour ago, Omo_Yeme said:

I've never had the pleasure of tasting yorkshire pudding, but I imagine them to be fabulous tasting.  Some months ago I was watching Jamie Oliver's youtube channel and he made yorkshire pudding which looked mouth-watering to say the least.

By the way, many Americans call them "popovers".  As someone had told the story a few years ago, an American popovered to England at some point and noticed how delicious they were, stole the recipe, so he/she made a popover back to the U.S. and decided to call it something different. :lol:

Good trivia! :) not sure I'd describe travelling all the way to America as a 'popover' though :D

ive got a few Jamie Oliver recipe books and he hasn't let me down yet, everything has come out really well. I used to find him a bit irritating, but I actually think he's a really nice guy. All the campaigning he does seems to be out of a genuine passion rather than just publicity seeking. His latest crusade is against the amount of sugar hidden in all our foods.