JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Voting - NOTA

As Jehovah's witnesses, we don't involve into politics by voting during elections.

But recently, during a election in my state, one brother went to the polling booth, stood in the line and voted for the column which says "NOTA" (NOTA - None of the above )..

In India, when one votes and returns, he carries a ink mark on his index finger which stays there for some days. This brother came and met us in the hospital and he informed us that he had been to the polls..

I was taken back but refrained myself from any comments. Later I called up a matured elder and discussed what I saw.

The elder brought out the point that

We , as jah's witnesses, are expecting gods Kingdom. Also it has been established by the year 1914 thru jc. .

As we are supporting gods Kingdom we should not vote on NOTA and Jah will not like that too..

We might be a stumbling block for others too.. psalms 1:1 says that we should not stand on the path of the sinners..

And finally, he suggested me to speak to this brother and make him approach the elders..

But before I speak to him I sought some references under "neutrality, politics and voting " topics.. but was unsuccessful in tracing out any particular article which suggests that jws are not even to select NOTA (none of the above) ..

This brother, also said that he knew of a elder who indulged in such practices since he was a banking official..

So brothers, when I approach this brother, I want to speak to him in a very precise and accurate manner of why we avoid even NOTA unless the Govt. makes it a mandatory law or a basic requirement of every individual to participate in elections at any cost.

More information solicited with scriptural reference or publication which explains our stand.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk

Edited by gayathri

I don't see anything wrong with voting none of the above, unless there are things I don't know about the issue.

But just as the elder said, being there will stumble others.

since no one is mandated to vote, why go there in the first place. although he may have his reasons for going cos i cant see the lure.

Sent from my TECNO H5 using Tapatalk