JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

7,402 Baptized at Kiev Convention

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2835 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I just finished watching one of our older videos: United By Divine Teaching

At the 1993 Divine Teaching International Convention in Kiev, a policeman noticed our peace and unity and said that he couldn't understand why we were ever under ban there.  

A reporter said we were living proof that people from various races and nationalities can live peacefully together.

And yet, the persecution is  happening there all over again.:unsure:

The video said that the largest number ever baptized was 7,402 at this Kiev Convention, and that the audience continued to applaud for the entire two and a half hours it took the sixty baptizers to get them all dunked.  A nice sized congregation emerged from the pools every few minutes.^_^

I vaguely remember reading about this when it happened.

Does anyone know if this amazing record still stands, today?:D

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

I watched that video a few months ago.  Even though it's a bit dated, it still makes me smile! :D  When I was an international delegate to the Nairobi convention in 1994, I remember that, for the whole duration of Saturday's baptism the Japanese brothers and sisters sang kingdom songs to the baptismal group with such beautiful harmony! It was truly a joyful occasion; though not nearly as many as the Kiev  candidates.  Now we are certain that the Kiev record stands.

Another bit of trivia: The convention at New York's Yankee Stadium in 1953 was the largest in our history --minus the heavenly assemblies! ^_^  Does anyone know the second largest attendance at an international convention and at what venue?  What say you? 

253, 922 delegates from 123 lands attended the 'Divine Will' International Assembly of Jehovah's Witnesses at Yankee Stadium in 1958, making it the largest convention of Jehovah's Witnesses in modern times. This convention also had the second-largest baptism on record—7, 136.

The second-largest convention was the 1953 'New World Society' Assembly, again at Yankee Stadium. The attendance peaked at 165, 829.