JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I just purchased a tablet computer but am disappointed with the choppy video and poor sound, it is an Archos Arnova 10b , anyone suggest something else?

I really dont want to buy anything named after a fruit for more than one reason.

I was told i could return the tablet if i wasnt satisfied, so i will do that today

Here is a previous thread on this. I believe Jerry got the Galaxy Tab and is happy with it. But I may be mistaken.

http://www.jwtalk.net/forum/read.php?53,57087,page=1

Also, Costco has a Tablet for $189 that a Brother just got and he is raving about it. He said it is the fastest thing he has seen and you don't need a contract to buy it. It uses WiFi.

I can't remember the brand right now. When I do, I will post it here.

EDIT: It is the "Vizio 8" tablet:

Vizio at Costco

It's really impressive for the low price!

I just got a Kindle Fire. It hasn't come yet but I like the reader I have except it doesn't read PDF files very good. This is a tablet and it is supposed to do all the stuff. I won't get it till the end of the month.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I just got a Kindle Fire. It hasn't come yet but I like the reader I have except it doesn't read PDF files very good. This is a tablet and it is supposed to do all the stuff. I won't get it till the end of the month.

so does it read PDF or not?.....can't wait for your review...

Visit my website: www.Hcgessentials.com

Growth Demands Change!

so does it read PDF or not?.....can't wait for your review...

A tablet with the Android interface can run a version of Adobe reader so it handles PDF's as well as a computer. It will also read e-pubs, but the Kindle will do that well also. I just like all the apps you can get with an Android tablet. The NWT app is really nice.

• 3 weeks later...

I found my tablet - finally.

65109=3576-Asus.JPG It is slightly heavier than an iPad, but it has a slot for an external SD card - must have. But it also has a port for a micro USB and full size USB and yes thumb drives work perfectly. I am extremely happy. I have been using this for 2 weeks. Went to Staples, showed them the ad and amazingly enough - they gave me the $100 discount. $299 is the right price :punk: Downloading all the files for JWReader as we speak ;)

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Hey Musky,:)o How do I get the NWT app for my Kindle?

I can email it, but unless the Kindle uses the Android OS, then it won't work. Also, can you get your email on the Kindle?

Yes I can get my email. It's really cool. So far I'm just playing with it but the WT and A read great and I can listen to them too. I don't know anything about the OS. The trouble with Amazon is they try to control everything you do so they can get their piece of the pie. I have 15 more days to send it back if I don't want to keep it. I went on to JW Talk last night and posted.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

This is the stuff about the Kindle Fire It runs on Android 2.3 So far I really like it.

Product Identifiers

Brand Amazon

Model Fire

MPN ebay_AmazonFire8US

Carrier No cellular ability

UPC 400025061732

Key Features

Type Tablet PC

Family Line Kindle

Display Size 7in (17.78 cm)

Hard Drive Capacity 8 GB

Operating System Android 2.3

Internet Connectivity Wi-Fi

Supported File Types AA, AAX, AZW, BMP, DOC, DOCX, GIF, JPEG, MID, MP3, MP4, OGG, PDF, PNG, PRC natively, TXT, Unprotected MOBI, VP8, WAV, non-DRM AAC

Color Black

Processor

Processor Manufacturer ARM

Processor Speed 1 GHz

Display and Screen

Display Tech IPS

Display Max. Resolution 1024 x 600

Connections and Expandability

Expension Ports USB 2.0

Wireless capabilities WLAN 802.11b, WLAN 802.11g, WLAN 802.11n

Audio Input Stereo Input Jack

Audio Output Speaker(s)

Dimensions

Height 7.5in (19 cm)

Width 4.7in (12 cm)

Depth 0.45in (1.14 cm)

Weight 0.91lb (0.413 kg)

Battery

Battery Run Time 8 Hours

Additional Technical Informations

Input Method Touch-Screen

I got it but I can't open it. I have to find the place where I can make it recognize apps that are not Amazon. I found it once but now I cant.

It says parse error.

Thats what I did but it still says parsing error. I tried it a few times. Maybe I have to go to Amazon to get help?

Well, I know with the Kindles that Frankie from meekspace was selling he had to "unlock" them to get them to take apps from the Android market. Amazon had locked them so you had to purchase your apps through them.

Thats what I did but it still says parsing error. I tried it a few times. Maybe I have to go to Amazon to get help?

Well, I know with the Kindles that Frankie from meekspace was selling he had to "unlock" them to get them to take apps from the Android market. Amazon had locked them so you had to purchase your apps through them.

How do I go about doing that?

How do I go about doing that?

It would probably be necessary to "flash" it with a different version of Android, which is kind of technical and would most likely void your warranty. If you talk to Amazon, they may have a way to unlock it. Just tell them that you want to install apps from the Android market.