JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

United Nations says the cold war with Russia is on again

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2136 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

10 hours ago, a3a27988 said:

Did I hear that right.

If this is the article - I'd go with "No". (note the date is April 13th - and today is June 11)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/syria-world-war-russia-trump-us-uk-un-secretary-general-antonio-guterres-a8303096.html

The United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has said the ”Cold war is back with a vengeance”, as he issues a warning that the world is at risk of ”full-blown military escalation” over the latest suspected chemical attack in Syria

Speaking during the second meeting of the Security Council this week on the conflict in Syria and possible missile strikes by the West, Mr Guterres said: “Increasing tensions and the inability to reach a compromise in the establishment of an accountability mechanism threaten to lead to a full-blown military escalation” if parties cannot figure out a way to agree on how to investigate the claims of a 7 April chemical weapons attack on the Syrian town of Douma during which 60 people died and up to a 1,000 were injured. 

Mr Guterres said: "The Cold War is back with a vengeance, but with a difference. The mechanisms and the safeguards to manage the risks of escalation that existed in the past no longer seem to be present."

As the US ordered a very limited strike due to the chemical attack:

Addressing the nation Friday evening, Trump said the strike was a joint operation with France and the United Kingdom.

"A short time ago, I ordered the United States Armed Forces to launch precision strikes on targets associated with the chemical weapons capabilities of Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad," Trump said.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/trump-orders-strike-syria-response-chemical-attack/story?id=54459378

And there was no retaliation by Russia - as they warned Russia well ahead of time - let them move whatever they had in those locations and then bombed mostly empty buildings.

It doesn't look like the US President has much issue with Russia. If anything he seems interested in having a better relationship with Russia than with the regular US allies, like: Canada, UK, France, Germany, etc.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I thought I heard a little blip on TV. I checked United Nations website but nothing seems to be mentioned about it, so I’m I must’ve been mistaken 

Edited by a3a27988