JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Smokehouse Garlic Bread (or pretty close to it!)>:D

In the San Fernando Valley, where I grew up, there is a restaurant across the street from Warner Brothers Studios called 'The Smokehouse' that is famous for it's garlic bread. One of the few things I miss about living in the Los Angeles area is being able to have their fabulous bread whenever I want it. Recently, I came across a recipe on the internet that's about as close as one can get without actually going to 'The Smokehouse' and the restaurant will not divulge the recipe. This recipe is dangerous--it's so good that I told Musky I think I could live off this stuff (garlic bread and a glass of wine--how's that for a balanced diet?! LOL) ..Wanted to share it with you all, so here goes: Smoke House Garlic Cheese Bread Do use a better brand of French bread. Regular grocery-store French bread is flavorless and has no texture(I must disagree with this--I've used a good fresh French bread from the bakery section of my local market and it was great). Baguettes are too small and crusty. Use artisan bread, if you can find it, that is a wider, flatter type. You can also use ciabatta bread. 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced 1/3 cup Kraft Mac & Cheese "cheese sauce" packet 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, dry type, green can 1 loaf French bread, sliced in half 1. The night before you're going to make this melt the butter and add the garlic. Allow to cool, then refrigerate overnight (this is an important step!) 2. Re-melt the butter and preheat the oven to 350°. 3. Brush the butter mixture on the cut halves of the bread. 4. In a small bowl combine the cheese sauce packet and the green-can Parmesan. Sprinkle it (use it all) on the buttered bread. 5. Bake for 5-8 minutes (depending on the thickness of the bread), then turn oven to broil, and broil for 30 seconds or more, until the bread is toasty brown. Servings: 6 Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 362 Calories; 19g Fat (46.3% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 40g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 44mg Cholesterol; 525mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 3 1/2 Fat.

73779=4120-smoke_house_garlic_bread.jpg

I intend to live forever...so far so good. :D

I love the Smokehouse bread too! We would take the CO there for lunch when we would get him. He was single--the only CO I ever had that was single. I can not remember his name--he was a young, handsome black brother in his 40's--served over the Sun Valley KH. I will give this a go Sunday because they asked me to bring bread and a vegtable for the hospitality Sunday. Thanks for posting this timely treat!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Hey, Leslie, you're welcome! I figured you'd know about 'The Smokehouse'...it's such an institution. Just be careful when you put the bread under the broiler--it doesn't take long to brown--I check it every few seconds. Hope you'll enjoy it on Sunday.

(Can't think of the C.O. you're referring to..guess I'd already left the area.)

I intend to live forever...so far so good. :D

The bread was so good and everyone said it was a good thing I brought so much of it because it was almost the whole meal! Our sister was using a grill --first time griller---she is divorced and her ex use to handle that. Any way she had about 10 good pieces of chicken for 20 people. She came in looking like she was going to burst into tears and said she had to make a burnt offering to Jehovah and the other chicken was the sacrifice. We did have plenty of vegtables and salads too so the meat was not missed that much. But the bread--now I have to copy and email the recipe to all that was there.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

That sounds yummy!

If you are really in a time crunch, here is another recipe:

Garlic Bites

1 package of refrigerated biscuits (pillsbury grands, buttermilk or the generic equivalent)

1/2 - 1 stick of butter (I use 1/2)

3 garlic cloves, pressed

parm. cheese (optional)

Italian seasoning (optional)

preheat oven to 350*

cut biscuits into fourths

on stove, melt butter in 8" or 9" saute pan (mine is heat safe to 400*)

add garlic, saute a few minutes

add cut biscuits, turning to coat each piece

I like to brown them about 1 minute

sprinkle with parm. cheese, as much as you like, either canned or fresh (add It. seasoning if desired)

transfer to oven and bake for 9-12 minutes

turn out into basket or plate and serve immediately!

You can also substitute cinnamon for garlic and sprinkel with sugar!

• 2 months later...
In the San Fernando Valley' date=' where I grew up, there is a restaurant across the street from Warner Brothers Studios called 'The Smokehouse' that is famous for it's garlic bread. One of the few things I miss about living in the Los Angeles area is being able to have their fabulous bread whenever I want it. Recently, I came across a recipe on the internet that's about as close as one can get without actually going to 'The Smokehouse' and the restaurant will not divulge the recipe. This recipe is dangerous--it's so good that I told Musky I think I could live off this stuff (garlic bread and a glass of wine--how's that for a balanced diet?! LOL) ..Wanted to share it with you all, so here goes: [b']Smoke House Garlic Cheese Bread Do use a better brand of French bread. Regular grocery-store French bread is flavorless and has no texture(I must disagree with this--I've used a good fresh French bread from the bakery section of my local market and it was great). Baguettes are too small and crusty. Use artisan bread, if you can find it, that is a wider, flatter type. You can also use ciabatta bread. Hi Gabrielle how you doing. i saw the garlic bread recipe last nite and today i had some ingrediants and and the ciabatta bread that's really awesome even my kids loved it :thumbsup:. and i used the rest of the butter with garlic and added chives to my pizza that was left over. :thumbsup: my family loves you. thanks heeps :lips: :lips: :heart: gabe 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced 1/3 cup Kraft Mac & Cheese "cheese sauce" packet 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, dry type, green can 1 loaf French bread, sliced in half 1. The night before you're going to make this melt the butter and add the garlic. Allow to cool, then refrigerate overnight (this is an important step!) 2. Re-melt the butter and preheat the oven to 350°. 3. Brush the butter mixture on the cut halves of the bread. 4. In a small bowl combine the cheese sauce packet and the green-can Parmesan. Sprinkle it (use it all) on the buttered bread. 5. Bake for 5-8 minutes (depending on the thickness of the bread), then turn oven to broil, and broil for 30 seconds or more, until the bread is toasty brown. Servings: 6 Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 362 Calories; 19g Fat (46.3% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 40g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 44mg Cholesterol; 525mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 3 1/2 Fat.

73779=4120-smoke_house_garlic_bread.jpg

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody."