JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Reminiscing and trying to cheer myself up

I was thinking about my aunt and uncle who live in Long Beach, CA. Their daughter, my cousin JoAnn, and her husband drive from Oklahoma to Ca to see them about three times a year. Joann said that it was sad seeing her parents age because once they got to be 70 it started going downhill very quickly--their aging process. She said they started going to bed earilier and eairlier--taking advantage of all the early bird specials in the area--1/2 price suppers from 3-pm to 5pm. They would meet their friends for coffee at 4am! That is meet them--not get up at 4 am. Joann said that she and her husband went with them the first few mornings but in order to get up that early they had to go to bed at 7--just like her parents did. Anyway she told Aunt Catherine not to wake then up the following morning because they were going to "sleep in". Joann said the next morning she and her husband heard a noise in the kitchen and her husband, CB got alarmed and said nervously "What time is it?" Joann said to him it 8:30 and he groaned and rolled over and said "Oh NO. We've missed lunch" I thought that was really funny. I am enjoying this quiet time with my dog and just thinking about what ever pops into my mind. All random thought you can tell.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Some folks are just naturally early birds and get lots done early in the mornings. I'm the opposite - a night owl - I hate mornings and sleep late and rush to get on time to morning Ministry groups, but can work late into the night no problem.

Some folks in our congregation used to be a bit smug about getting up really early and doing all their housework and meeting pre-study/bible readings in the mornings and going to bed early, but I didn't think it was anything special - they were just on a different time zone to me. I just get the same stuff done later in the day. Each to their own! To try to change to doing things early in the morning would end up with the equivalent of jet lag for me.

My late Gran, on Mother's side of the family, part-owned an electrical business with my Uncle, her brother. She worked to bring up her 3 children from 8.30am-7pm and came home to do all the housework until midnight every day except Sunday from when Grandfather left her and disappeared in 1949 until 1975 when she retired at 65. Still did her washing in the old fashioned way at the crack of dawn on Mondays, in a wash-house in the yard, using soapflakes and 'dolly blue' brightner and a big roller wringer that broke buttons until she was in her eighties!Lack of sleep didn't seem to affect her and she like her Mother and sister, lived into her 90's.

I am a morning person, but I wish I wasn't. I wish I could sleep normal hours. Grumpy likes to get up between 7:30 and 8:00 AM. I've already been up for

2 1/2 to 3 hrs. Then I want to go to bed around 9 PM and he likes to stay up until 11:00 to 12:00. Now that I am doing the text earlier I fall asleep and then wake up so I can get it done at the right time for those in different time zones. I don't mind doing it, in fact, it's a privilege, but I wish I could be more a night person. I've been this way all my life. All of my good ideas come to me early in the morning. Most of my friends are night people so I can't call them when an idea hits me, until they are ready to get up. Guess it is what it is Helen. Love you, Vernalee

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I was thinking about my aunt and uncle who live in Long Beach' date=' CA. Their daughter, my cousin JoAnn, and her husband drive from Oklahoma to Ca to see them about three times a year. Joann said that it was sad seeing her parents age because once they got to be 70 it started going downhill very quickly--their aging process. She said they started going to bed earilier and eairlier--taking advantage of all the early bird specials in the area--1/2 price suppers from 3-pm to 5pm. They would meet their friends for coffee at 4am! That is meet them--not get up at 4 am. Joann said that she and her husband went with them the first few mornings but in order to get up that early they had to go to bed at 7--just like her parents did. Anyway she told Aunt Catherine not to wake then up the following morning because they were going to "sleep in". Joann said the next morning she and her husband heard a noise in the kitchen and her husband, CB got alarmed and said nervously "What time is it?" Joann said to him it 8:30 and he groaned and rolled over and said "Oh NO. We've missed lunch" I thought that was really funny. I am enjoying this quiet time with my dog and just thinking about what ever pops into my mind. All random thought you can tell.[/quote'] And Leslie, I don't want to hear about going down hill at 70. I resemble that comment.

73861=4125-Uppercase.gif Just kidding, it is true, but I'm not quite that bad, YET.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Your not old Vernalee! Your refined! Have you ever noticed how much older people in the world are than the ones who have our hope of everlasting life? The conversation is so much more alive! The thoughts are fresh and happy? Not miserable and resentful. They have something to live for each day. I had a doctor say at work one time that "The Jehovah Witness religion must be so hard on their adherents because he has done countless hip operations on witnesses. There stories are all similiar--they fell off a curb while working in fied servie! Why does this religion regurie so much from their old people?" It was kind of funny when you look at it from his view. I asked him if they were happy people or were they unhappy complainers. He asked why and I told him if he ever took the time to compare the witnesses from the general population of the ones who broke their hip how did they act? He said he had to admit, although he had never thought about it, that his patients who were witnesses were not complainers and troble patients--not demanding. He even went on to say that now since he thought about it the history and physicals were si,miliar--no history of smoking (or recent history) and light alcohol use. He even had to admit they were getting daily exercise by walking which helped their recovery. We had a good conversation about that.

P.S. I remember a woman visiting from GB who would ask for the "litter pan" when she would ring her call light. What she wanted was the bed pan. She was just adorable!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

I love you Leslie because you love Jehovah and because you make me laugh ALL THE TIME. I will never get that wiglet story out of my head...

I also prefer going to bed early myself because I too am a morning person and it might have something to do with the time of my birth I was born in the morning and can pop right out of bed and immediately start cleaning.

Oh and Vernalee 70 really is the new 60! I'm with you on that point Helen these days 90 is the turning point for old age.

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be pleasing to you, O Jehovah, my Rock and my Redeemer."