JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Bicarbonate Soda Shampoo

So I tried out a natural shampoo alternative using bicarbonate soda (what Americans call "baking soda", not to be confused with "baking powder"). It's pretty easy to make and you can always add more ingredients, but I'm sharing the most simple method of making it as well as a personal review after a one time use.

Review

I waited a long time before I washed my hair, so it was plenty greasy, and also very thick (because it needs trimming). After applying and washing my hair, I found all the grease was mostly if not all gone in a single session. Today my hair is still very much clean after sleeping. I will however say that it can leave your hair a tiny bit "rough" and dry, and so you might benefit from conditioning your hair after washing like this, with something like coconut oil and combing it through, then washing it out well, but it's trying to attain a balance between having conditioned smooth hair, or just being plain oily. 

Creating the shampoo

The ammount of the bicarbonate mix you want to use will be dependent on the thickness of your hair.

The proccess of making it is through three simple ingredients.

-Bicarbonate soda (duh)

-1-2 drops of tea tree oil (or other essential oils of choice)

-A small ammount of water

You'll want to put the soda in a container first (perhaps a couple of table spoons), then add a tiny bit of water, bit by bit, you won't need much, until you form a paste. Then add the drops of tea tree oil. This will lessen the effects of it drying out your hair, good for the scalp and prevents dandruff. It also adds a nice scent to the mixture. Just stir that around with a finger to mix it up.

Applying

Procceed in wetting your hair in the shower (or however you like) and then wash your hair with all the paste as you would shampoo. Note that this mixture will not lather up like shampoo, so you will have to get used to that, since many of us associate lather with "clean" or "efficient" shampoo (though that not need be the case here).  Rub it in well for a while then just wash it out as you would. As you do this you'll certainly feel the difference from normal shampoo, as the hair may not be a smooth to run your hands through (hence the suggestion of a condioning afterward of some kind).

Edited by EccentricM

• 1 month later...

https://www.yours.co.uk/lifestyle/home/articles

1. Get rid of dandruff with bicarb

Lay off the shampoo for a few weeks and massage your wet scalp with a handful of baking soda instead.

2.  Make a homemade hair treatment

Mix a little baking soda into your conditioner and lather on your hair to keep it healthy and resistant to split ends.

Hi Matt, 

I've always had a problem with dandruff or dry scalp. Might try the sodium bicarb. Will have to use conditioner because I always perm my hair. Thanks for trying it first before recommending.