JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Australia voting

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1805 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

7 hours ago, tuntun said:

Most brothers and sisters in Indonesia take part in general elections to show respect. But they left the ballot papers remain intact ..

That was the story of long time ago, while we were under dictatorship of former president for 31 years... Now, Indonesia is different a little bit more liberal than before, and have you ever heard of golput, which refer to abstention? So, I believe the mature Christian should evaluate how situation is different than before... Of course, I'm not forcing my conscience to others, witnesses in small community may have more pressure to vote than those in big city... Yet, what I observe some friends still in lost and accuse us who abstain that we disrespect government by doing so, but that's not the story... Even in my former cong, the BOE held a meeting to discuss the matter, and while the answer came out: conscious matter, some just go and told me its depend to your concious without giving deep thought to it... They just use elders' answer as a shield and choose the safe option... I am not complaining of their choice, but their attitude of viewing and making the decision...

Saying this is not to offense you... Just trigger my memory of some members in former cong and I feel the need to talk...

Edited by ivy

:bouncing:

Abstain from voting is considered a right in Indonesia nowadays, but I know how situation will be different if you live in small community where people will disregard law and force somebody to do something by violence, then just going to booth maybe wise option...

:bouncing:

11 hours ago, ivy said:

Abstain from voting is considered a right in Indonesia nowadays, but I know how situation will be different if you live in small community where people will disregard law and force somebody to do something by violence, then just going to booth maybe wise option...

Most of the brothers/sisters here due they want to respect the local authority where they live or perhaps because of the feeling of unease since the election inspectors who sent the invitation letters for everyone to come to the voting booth, mostly their own neighbors.

Even though the brothers and sisters knew they would later be in the vooting booth only will do a little "dancing" pretended to stab something.

But myself sometimes comes but sometimes don't. Just take the benefit of the election day for a little relax at home enjoying the holiday.

Thankfully we won't be forced to take part for the elections here for right now.