JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Yankees/Red Sox

Last weekend I and my wife were finally able to see genuine MLB games 'in the flesh' in London!  And what games they were!

A very interesting and fun weekend to watch the two games.  We really enjoyed the experience, although the food prices were extortionate and there very long queues to fill up drinking water bottles!

Great that the Yankees won both games.  50 runs scored over the 2 games!  

We were surprised at how many had come over from the USA for the series and we had aome nice chats with fans from across the pond. Over 59,000 in attendance altogether.

One thing we noticed that was quite shocking was the amount of rubbish left under seats after the games. Why can people not clear up after themselves? What a contrast to the scenes after our conventions.

Last weekend I and my wife were finally able to see genuine MLB games 'in the flesh' in London!  And what games they were!
A very interesting and fun weekend to watch the two games.  We really enjoyed the experience, although the food prices were extortionate and there very long queues to fill up drinking water bottles!
Great that the Yankees won both games.  50 runs scored over the 2 games!  
We were surprised at how many had come over from the USA for the series and we had aome nice chats with fans from across the pond. Over 59,000 in attendance altogether.

One thing we noticed that was quite shocking was the amount of rubbish left under seats after the games. Why can people not clear up after themselves? What a contrast to the scenes after our conventions.

That’s great you got to see a game live! On a Saturday afternoon and the weather is perfect it’s one of the most relaxing things to watch.

It’s too bad some previous stars retired before you could see them - Derek Jeter, David Ortiz and/or Curt Schilling (some of my personal favorites from a few yrs ago).

It’s funny you mention about the garbage left after games - that’s the whole fun part as a fan lol!

I remember when I was a kid and my Dad took me to my first game: Baltimore at Toronto. He bought a bag of peanuts and I kept putting the empty shells in my pocket. My Dad noticed what I was doing and said: “...throw them on the ground son, that’s what it’s there for.”

Fast forward to when I took my wife to her first game: NYY at Toronto. She caught me throwing the peanut shells on the ground and she grabs my arm: “Stop that it’s rude!” Lol.

I said: “That’s what the ground is for”

Tales about one's father can be oh so bitter sweet. Brings back such fond memories. So beloved brother John, you could throw a few shells on the ground to 'honor' your father and then gather them up after the game. :)

Must be great to watch a game life. I once travelled 45 km. (near the airport) to watch the Formula 1 race (the battle royale between Schumacher and Mika Hakkinen). My female Malay colleague derided me for wasting my money on such a frivolous sport But the smell of fuel, sound of the roar of the mighty machines, the palpable excitement at the stands and the heat cannot be replicated on the small screen. My ticket only allowed me to sit on the grassy slopes but looking back, it was so great to be part of the F1 history, watching the two supremos duelling out in the sun.

My dream match would be to watch a football match live at a World Cup event. Not the American kind of football though. :) I used to feel so mesmerized watching Pele, Johan Cruyff, Maradona and co. playing on the TV.

Now, I got to go see Babe Ruth play on youtube. I don't really know any of the players you mentioned. So I've got to get myself educated. By starting to watch the locals play cricket in the field in front of the Clocktower. In the colonial days, this was the place where gentlemen from the upper echelons of British society would play games on the weekends.

BTW, like your new avatar @Cheeks  It is a step up. A good sign. Meanwhile, your user name is such a magnet for puns.

Edited by M'Awan

Tales about one's father can be oh so bitter sweet. Brings back such fond memories. So beloved brother John, you could throw a few shells on the ground to 'honor' your father and then gather them up after the game. 
Must be great to watch a game life. I once travelled 45 km. (near the airport) to watch the Formula 1 race (the battle royale between Schumacher and Mika Hakkinen). My female Malay colleague derided me for wasting my money on such a frivolous sport But the smell of fuel, sound of the roar of the mighty machines, the palpable excitement at the stands and the heat cannot be replicated on the small screen. My ticket only allowed me to sit on the grassy slopes but looking back, it was so great to be part of the F1 history, watching the two supremos duelling out in the sun.
My dream match would be to watch a football match live at a World Cup event. Not the American kind of football though.  I used to feel so mesmerized watching Pele, Johan Cruyff, Maradona and co. playing on the TV.
Now, I got to go see Babe Ruth play on youtube. I don't really know any of the players you mentioned. So I've got to get myself educated. By starting to watch the locals play cricket in the field in front of the Clocktower. In the colonial days, this was the place where gentlemen from the upper echelons of British society would play games on the weekends.
BTW, like your new avatar [mention=4193]Cheeks[/mention]  It is a step up. A good sign. Meanwhile, your user name is such a magnet for puns.

Lol! My user name is actually a nickname. My nickname in hockey is Chico, thanks to a Portuguese brother that played with us.

My wife changed it to Cheeks one day and it stuck.

Chico means young boy in Portugese. That explains your previous profile picture. 

Reminds me of the cartoon character Chico. Used to watch when I was young and now I'm old. Sigh. :( Sorry to spoil your day. But I usually very cheery and happy like you. Unless I get into the bad books of you know who. Which is like, always, permanently engraved there.:)

Some future superstars on show at the game, though.  Players like Judge, Sanchez, Torres.  When we were sitting in the right field bleachers, Aaron Judge was throwing balls into our section during practice - it was great. A young girl had her mitt and caught one just in front of me. We were in the third row close to the foul pole.

Next year it is Cubs v Cardinals!  

On 7/2/2019 at 5:05 PM, bohemian said:

I know. We used to have our conventions at the old Vet's baseball stadium (now torn down) and after a Phillies game on a Sunday afternoon, I was walking ankle deep in trash. I was in shock!