JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Friday, July 5 ~ How good and how pleasant it is . . . to dwell together in unity!​—Ps. 133:1.

Friday, July 5

How good and how pleasant it is . . . to dwell together in unity!—Ps. 133:1.

An important way to promote unity is by showing love in imitation of Jehovah, the God of love. (1 John 4:8) Never would we want to say regarding fellow worshippers, “I may have to love them, but I do not have to like them”! To think that way is contrary to Paul’s counsel that we should be “putting up with one another in love.” (Eph. 4:2) Note that he did not simply say that we should be “putting up with one another.” He added that we should do so “in love.” There is a difference. In our congregations are found all sorts of people whom Jehovah has drawn to him. (John 6:44) Since Jehovah has drawn them to him, he must find them lovable. How, then, could any of us judge a fellow worshipper as being unworthy of our love? We must not hold back the love that Jehovah commands us to display!—1 John 4:20, 21. w18.01 16 ¶14

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Never would we want to say regarding fellow worshippers, “I may have to love them, but I do not have to like them”!   To be honest it is hard for me to understand. No doubt we must love all our brothers and sisters but is it possible to like everybody? How can I make myself like somebody?

5 hours ago, Victoria said:

Never would we want to say regarding fellow worshippers, “I may have to love them, but I do not have to like them”!   To be honest it is hard for me to understand. No doubt we must love all our brothers and sisters but is it possible to like everybody? How can I make myself like somebody?

I don't think it is possible to like everyone, but we can still love brothers and sisters warts and all, even the most difficult ones. 

Interestingly, in the Arabic version of “I may have to love them, but I do not have to like them”, the meaning is different. It literally says: it is my duty to put up with them, but not to find them pleasant. 

8 hours ago, Hun said:

I don't think it is possible to like everyone, but we can still love brothers and sisters warts and all, even the most difficult ones. 

Interestingly, in the Arabic version of “I may have to love them, but I do not have to like them”, the meaning is different. It literally says: it is my duty to put up with them, but not to find them pleasant. 

So we must find all of our brothers pleasant? Do you think it is possible?

26 minutes ago, Victoria said:

So we must find all of our brothers pleasant? Do you think it is possible?

If it is a true brother/sister, then yes, it is possible. But we come from different backgrounds and have our own problems, which may not always be pleasant. So I think it depends on whether a person is trying hard to put on a Christian personality. If you can see his/her efforts, you can consciously make an effort to find something pleasant about him/her. :)