JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Ancestry.com scam?

Shaking my head at Ancestry.com.

It seems they are running some thing (i.e. scam because its a lie) where you can trace your lineage back to Adam.

It usually says something like this:

Folcwald was born in Aswald, Sacandanavia. Folcwald's father is Trojan Godwulf (b: 80, d: 163) of Asfard, Scandanavia. His mother is Gogolfr (B: 80, d: 180). Trojan's father is Geata Jat Trojan (B: 65, d: 155AD). Geata's father is Taetwa Tecti (40 - 100 AD), whose father is Beow. This line of paternal ancestry continues as follows: Sceldwa DE Troy, Heremond Heremod, Heremond Heremod, Athra Hatta, Hwala Whala, Bedwig Of Sceaf, Danus I Seskef, Magi De Troy, Magi De Troy, Vingener De Troy, Vingethor De Troy, Einridi, King Loridi,(All from Aswald, Scandanavia), King Loidi's father is Tror of Troy,and the paternal ancestry continues back as follows: Munon of Troy, Tithonus OF Troy, Laomedon of Troy, Ilus of Troy, Tros of Troy, Erichthonius, King Of Acadia, Dardanus King Of Dardania, Zarah Ben Judah, Judah ben Israel, Jacob ben Isaac, Isaac ben Abraham, etc. back to Adam

There is a BIG problem with that. Note that at the end of the list it says 'Dardanus King of Dardania, Zarah Ben Judah'.

Zarah (or Zerah) son of Judah had five sons according to the Scriptures:

(1 Chronicles 2:6) . . .And the sons of Ze′rah were Zim′ri and E′than and He′man and Cal′col and Da′ra. There were five of them in all.

No Dardanus.....Hmm... Google that name and you find that Dardanus is the son of......ZEUS! A mythological god!

I feel so sorry for the folks that fall for that....

I have a couple relatives on facebook basking in the delight of this discovery, and I had already questioned it last night...

It says " Judah -> Israel -> Isaac -> Abraham -> etc. back to Adam". I don't get it. The "etc. etc. back to Adam" kinda applies to all of us, don't it?

Do people have to pay for this information? The one my wife's aunt was linking to is HERE.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Yeah, People pay a monthly fee to access Ancestry.com's files and features. Just try to click any of the links and you'll likely be given the pricing information just to access it.

If you check around the internet, many people are being told they can trace their family lines back to Adam & Eve. All of the info is questionable though the lineage given is slightly different in each case.

Check out these blogs regarding the misinformation:

Tracing your family line to Adam and Eve

Back to Adam

At this link below, check out the supposed family line connections at line numbers 51 to 53

Im sure you can see the falsehood here!

Robert Glen Way's Adam & Eve Genealogy

Unless you're Jewish, you don't descend from Jacob/Israel. For most of us it would be something like ???? -> Japheth -> Noah -> ... -> Adam.

Of course, there is no way to determine what is between you and Noah. Records don't go back anywhere near that far for the common European peasant folk many of us descend from.

At this link below, check out the supposed family line connections at line numbers 51 to 53

Im sure you can see the falsehood here!

Robert Glen Way's Adam & Eve Genealogy

Here's a good example of what I mean. This random guy really is descended from British royalty? And how on earth did THEY descend from Jews?? All very wishful thinking.

Didn't the 99% of the population who were common folk have kids too? :perplexed:

This is why I am waiting for the new world to trace my ancestry...:P

With the resurrection you can do more than trace it, you can meet them: >:D<

:beard:

....trace...meet ....and greet....that's gonna be some kinda wonderful!:dance:

Visit my website: www.Hcgessentials.com

Growth Demands Change!

• 4 weeks later...

I've been a subscriber of Ancestry.com and administrator of several myfamily.com sites over 10+ years. Ancestry now owns myfamily.com. I have proven with documentation several family lines back generations using ancestry and other genealogy sites. However, I've never been gullible enough to believe they could help me trace my lines back to even Moses! LOL My dad always thought we might be related to Samson but even if true, and if ancestry.com had the information, I would never spend the time required. I feel like the rest of you...a future meet and greet in the new system is what I'm waiting for. :grouphug:

This stuff has been going on for YEARS. When I was a kid (lets say 30 years ago ;) ) I remember my grandma had an ancestry book. It took her lineage back to George Washington.

Maybe it was true - who knows. You can't ask any of those people so it is easy to put in whoever you want.

Anyway, she paid a pretty penny back then for that book. I say SCAM.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

These scams must have been going on for years, the documents I have on our family are DDT 1945. And go back to 1498.

That makes since, we humans are imperfect and making money is paramount in the Ancestry search, so much time is also invested.

Tottigy, You do resemble a Desert squirrel/George Washington combo. :yes: