JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Monday, November 25 ~ Do you know this?​—Job 38:21.

Monday, November 25

Do you know this?—Job 38:21.

Nowhere do we read of God’s telling Job specifically the reason behind his suffering. The main point of Jehovah’s words was not to explain to Job why he was suffering, as if God had to justify himself. Rather, Jehovah wanted to help Job recognize his insignificance in comparison with God’s greatness. And he helped Job to see that there were greater issues with which to be concerned. (Job 38:18-20) This helped Job regain the proper perspective. Was Jehovah harsh in giving such straightforward counsel after Job had endured so severe a trial? God was not, and Job did not think so. Despite his ordeal, Job finally began to speak appreciatively. He even stated: “I take back what I said, and I repent in dust and ashes.” Such was the effect of Jehovah’s pointed but refreshing counsel. (Job 42:1-6) After Job responded to God’s reproof and corrected his view, Jehovah expressed to others his approval of Job’s faithfulness under trial.—Job 42:7, 8. w17.06 24-25 ¶11-12

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

There may be times in our lives when we don't understand why a certain situation seems to have fallen upon us but, Like Job and Joseph, we need to be patient and trust that Jehovah sees our trials and hears our prayers and will help us to adjust to his thinking and will help us through them.  I have alwys been encourage by Jame's words: 

Consider it all joy, my brothers, when you meet with various trials,  knowing as you do that this tested quality of your faith produces endurance.  But let endurance complete its work, so that you may be complete and sound in all respects, not lacking in anything. 

There are times when we may see things as black and white, but in time Jehovah has helped us to see the situation in a different light.

Thank you father for your loving counsel.

I've always wondered why Jehovah replied to Job the way he did.

But thinking about it, Job felt he had a right to be angry with God, to "reprove God."

A woman whose son feels this way towards her for no apparent reason will likely remind him that she gave birth to him; and the more hurt she is by his words, the more specific she is likely to be in describing the labour pains she went through to birth him. This will change the son's perspective and move him to apologise.

Jehovah did something similar:

By describing to Job all his creative works in minute detail, he was in effect saying "if the wonders of my physical creation reduces you to awe and insignificance, what emboldens you to vent complaints against me? (Job 41:10, 11)

Now, it makes sense to me why Jehovah replied to Job the way he did.