JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

They Have Never Seen it Work

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1565 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

When I worked a part time job with a lot of twenty-somethings, some wanted to know how long I had been married. They were dumbfounded when I told them I had been married for over 20 years. Raised in single parent families, most of them, they had never heard of a marriage lasting so long!

How likely is it that they are going to try a model that they have never seen work?

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

13 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:

When I worked a part time job with a lot of twenty-somethings, some wanted to know how long I had been married. They were dumbfounded when I told them I had been married for over 20 years. Raised in single parent families, most of them, they had never heard of a marriage lasting so long!

How likely is it that they are going to try a model that they have never seen work?

Brother Tom, I think you really need to convert your post into the plain text mode. Hard to read for those on dark mode theme.

Of course when I moused over your sentences, the words start to appear. But I'm afraid some people might have the mistaken impression you've left a blank in your post.

Edited by M'Awan

13 minutes ago, M'Awan said:

Brother Tom, I think you really need to convert your post into the plain text mode.

Sorry, I said I was going to do that, and I forgot: Here it is:

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

4 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

So true, for many young people, marriage is a dying institution or a quaint notion that's unnecessary, unrealistic and even oppressive in many cases. "Who needs a piece of paper to validate our love for each other," they say,  as if it's a contract that can easily be broken if one or both want out. It's just one more piece of evidence that shows how near we are to the total collapse of the world as we know it.

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley

5 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

LOL, Brother, I laughed at this because when I worked part time the girls (CNAs) asked how long I had been married.  I said 58 years.  They were astounded and one asked 'to the same man?" And more astounded when I said yes.  One girl said 'if I had stayed married to the first one I'd been married 20 years'.  Their own parents, if married, had not been married as long as I had been.