JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Sort of a Composting Poem

ReadYourBible

I was engaging with the Facebook group that is connected to the virtual writing group I belong to, and they were speaking about composing sonnets. One of the writers mentioned that she composted, and had tried to write one about it. I told her that I had composed this for her.

The ode itself accurately describes my experience with composting, and what happened to the contents of the composting bin when I moved a couple of years later. I took it round to the bushes and threw it on the ground so that the compost could actually have a chance at really degrading. I realize this makes me a horrible person, and I'm completely okay with it.

An ode to composting, biodegradables galore

It sat in my green bin, I was unsure what to do,
How am I to support the ecosystem with just one tiny bin or two,
Yet try I must as the advertising around here, is making not composting a veritable sin,
Eager to absolve myself, I threw my coffee grounds in,
I packed in my shells, I even threw orange rinds in a hope to improve the smell,
As the days went by, I didn’t notice much change,
Save for the fact that the orange rinds were much smaller again,
And a tiny mouse had made off with the bits of carrot I had left behind,
Perhaps he was much better than I was at things of this kind,
My efforts though meager, the little compost bin forgot as I had worse things pressing on the mind,
I really can't be bothered, the earth is much better at doing this,
and if I just throw it on the ground it’ll do it in time.