JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Act - The story of Gypsy Rose Blanchard

We are currently in the middle of watching "The Act"

The Act is an American true crime drama web television series that premiered in eight parts on March 20, 2019, on Hulu. The first season is based on the real life of Gypsy Rose Blanchard and the murder of her mother, Dee Dee Blanchard, who was accused of abusing her daughter by fabricating illness and disabilities as a direct consequence of Munchausen syndrome by proxy.

A few months ago, we watched "Gypsy's Revenge", a two-hour long documentary of the murder case. 

It is an entirely uncomfortable story of a little girl who was conditioned into feeling dependent on her abusive mother her entire life without even the remotest chance of ever breaking free. In fact, her mother drugged her severely with medication and lied to her about her own age in order for her to continue to feel dependent on her through her late teens. Even when the girl was a young adult, the mother tried to control her every move. In the end, she felt compelled to connect to a psychotic young man in the internet, pretending to love him in the hopes of getting him to commit the murder of her dominant mother in order to be set free.

It is one of those extreme cases that displays that not everything that happens can simply be determined as black and white, a simple right and wrong.

I recall during the documentary, Gypsy, who is currently still in prison until about 2024,  stated how she really feels sorry about how she felt there was no way to escape the clutches of her disturbed mother, and how she regrets not knowing any other way of escaping the situation, and that she wished things had been different. She did love her, after all, she was her mother..

I am thinking of writing a letter to her and telling her about the resurrection hope. That her mother will get a new chance at being her mother and friend, this time along, with a sane and healthy mind.

• 2 years later...

I know this is old but I also once considered writing to gypsy about the truth. I figured it might bring her comfort. Her life was wasted and almost cut short by her own mother but still she loved her. It’s honestly tragic but also the promise of hope and forgiveness might give her comfort and a little joy.