JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2020 Garden year

bagwell1987

Well, my garden was left on its own through the winter and it shows. It was just too wet out there to get rid of the weeds. This bit of weeding was only about 1/2 hour so not too bad. My compost pile is gonna grow this year! 

1020244320_2020garden2(998x1331).thumb.jpg.9e7531b7554c57e5c5a186a4ee24363c.jpg

But something fun occurred, I got to see how kale looks when it goes to seed. Really cool. Oh and I let the decorative winter flowering cabbage go to seed too, it smells really good.  

2046973397_2020garden1(1331x998).thumb.jpg.287454400b369b93ea1f4d4a6fd1d5ef.jpg

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

After mowing for half hour I was able to spend another hour and a half weeding. Boy I'm gonna pay for this tomorrow. Made some great progress though. 
And found 2 leeks I didn't know were in there. 

Hopefully next pic will show that bushy shrub on the left is pruned up to be more tree-like. I'll work on that. There's 2 of them, lots of work there.

I did ask Normaclutter about the flowering things on my rhubarb and she said to cut them off so that;s why there's plant stuff on the ground by the rhubarb, that and veg compost too😊 

1618713313_2020garden3April(998x1331).thumb.jpg.540b7374fa013c97f10e928b047e34f6.jpg

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

On 4/20/2020 at 10:26 AM, bagwell1987 said:

Lovely, just lovely.  Wish I could come and learn from you.

Thanks...I would love to have you here, but I think I would be the one learning from you Lol 

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

• 1 month later...

Here's my greenhouse as of today, the determinate tomatoes are on the right, there are 5 and they're all strung up to the rafters, its hard to see the jute twine. I just went out and made sure they were well supported today. Already getting flowers. The 2 on the left of the gray folded table are patio indeterminate heirloom tomatoes. They'll be yellow/green in color. 

On the bench is leek starts, more cucumber starts and winter spinach starts. 

Many of my green beans didn't come up so I hope to use that space for the leeks and winter spinach- something to harvest all winter. 

In the corner is a black bag with a Gem squash- it's from South Africa, the lady down the street brought it with her when she moved here. I was sad the other day because I saw a bug had chomped in its stem and all it had was a little bit clinging on, I buried it and thought it was a gonner but it's still growing!! YAY! 

The other 3 pots are 2 of cilantro and one Greek Oregano, oh my gosh what a flavor! For this plant it's to be taken from a clipping from another plant, not from seed- which makes it lose much of its flavor. It is the best Oregano I've ever tried.

1281356142_greenhousejune92020(1331x748).thumb.jpg.5ed326b7b000a2155fba2e734a8db622.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ok friends if you don't have this tool run out and get one!! It makes my life sooo much easier. A manual tiller, so great.

k639585115_tool1(748x1331).thumb.jpg.61fe593571aca10534ec41190c53077e.jpg

And if you have stubborn weeds just tip it on its side and really dig 'em out!

763835100_tool2(748x1331).thumb.jpg.39cc1a7472d9e1473de142beaf247424.jpg

And here's how it keeps my garden weed free and ready for my winter spinach and leeks

71409252_do1(748x1331).thumb.jpg.4466e74fa5ff814dabbcde1fb9c4f180.jpg

842713439_do2(748x1331).thumb.jpg.96e1416a6d58f2097ca951d7433ab0b9.jpg

Edited by bagwell1987

Sorry, but I think this is just beautiful,  all that clear soil. Then again I've had WEEDS!  So the tool has proven its self. Going to plant winter spinach and leeks in the empty spaces. And more winter lettuce. 

Edited by bagwell1987

• 4 months later...

We're at the end of the year...

How has your garden been this year?

I've had just awful flea beetle eating most things I've planted, so I've just treated the soil with a herbal liquid preparation that seems to be working

Its a winter garden to be sure. Leeks, lettuce, collards are out there. I'm still pulling that dang orange iris looking plant out, its everywhere. Harvested 2 real nice zucchini out of the green house. I've had problems with white moth, viscous thing, that's why I won't grow many brassicas. I'm just happy to have the collards that I have.

Inside the tunnel today,  continual pickings of lettuce and Pak Choi also the cabbage is nearly ready... most of the cabbage and spring cabbage are outside under fine mesh of they're over wintering. The tunnel is one of the worse for flea beetle

20201125_142427.jpg

17 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Wow!  Looks like a lot of back-breaking 

work.

But those delicious, nutritious, fresh 

veggies are soooooo worth it!  :D

No back breaking involved.. I'm no dig, I never ever till the ground 😆