JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

WiFi suggestions for the KH

Dear Friends,

I apologize if this has been answered somewhere else (I couldn't find it). 

In our Small KH (about 600 sq ft / 60 sq mt) we have about 40 publishers. Most don't use the WiFi. But once a year we have special preaching campaigns in our area, and since the majority come from another country all of them want the Wi-Fi. Our router that came from our telecom is not up to the task.

Recommendations? Something for maybe 100 devices connected at the same time. Something easy to configure (we looked into Ubiquity and it seems very complex).

Thank you Friends! 

We used this Asus router for several years.  We have up to 150 people attending.  Several key features are the ability to create a guest WiFi network and slow down (throttle) the connection speed and decent security options built-in.

I know it sounds counterintuitive to want to slow down the connections.  However it gives the friends a better experience because they're not fighting for the speed.  We would set it at 5mb down and 1mb up.

We did switch to the branch/LDC standard recently using Ubiquiti and it is superior to the Asus, but as said, there is a lot involved to set it up.

For the small number of friends, the Asus would work fine.  

Asus -RT-AC1900P Wireless AC-1900 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Router - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JNK1KFW/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_an46EbAE74B0Z

Not sure who your internet provider is, ours is Comcast business.  The gateway they provided was also inadequate for the number of people.

4 hours ago, Sebastian said:

Dear Friends,

In our Small KH (about 600 sq ft / 60 sq mt) we have about 40 publishers. Most don't use the WiFi. But once a year we have special preaching campaigns in our area, and since the majority come from another country all of them want the Wi-Fi. Our router that came from our telecom is not up to the task.

Recommendations? Something for maybe 100 devices connected at the same time. Something easy to configure (we looked into Ubiquity and it seems very complex).

Thank you Friends! 

Where are you located?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2020 at 12:47 PM, Sebastian said:

Dear Friends,

Thank you Friends! 

We use Ubiquity. It is very professional, but also very complex. Built in 2018 for 2 Congregations and one special pioneer apartment without any problem. LDC installed it and we got a very theoretical introduction without practice. But we have a brother here who writes programs for a large company. He also uses the system at home privately. So help is allways here.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much brothers for the suggestions. I'm located in Israel. Our entire LDC is just one brother and his wife and they don't know about such things like Ubiquti routers. We want to avoid anything that has even the semblance of complexity because no one in our congregation or our sister that shares the hall would be qualified to maintain such a system. I will look into the Asus router recommended in the 1st post and see if it fits. 

Thx!!