JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The COVID letters. A global effort at encouragement!

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1333 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Several years ago some 8 million Jehovah’s Witnesses wrote tens of millions of letters to Russian Authorities on behalf of our Brothers and Sisters. Today if all of the nearly Nine Million Brothers and Sisters are engaging in the letter writing ministry we would be dwarfing that previous record breaking campaign. Every Month. Encouraging people in the most dismal era of our generation. How are we doing?

In the past, I was one of those who actually enjoyed writing letters. 
So, here we are. I have bad phone service, so, letter writing it is. I have written so many that my bible pretty well flips to the scripture I want. 
I’ve thought about it. How easy it would be to toss that letter I so carefully and thoughtfully wrote. I’ve decided the angels are still busy. Each time I write, I think this may be the one searching for Jehovah. I know many of them are tossed. But, I’m writing for that one that will respond. In whatever manner. 
Thing is, I love it. When I’m in the door to door work, we feel like we accomplished something if we get to share a scripture. Now, I can have a visit, share a few scriptures, at, “every door”. 
And, I make it a visit, as much as possible. 
So, instead of contributing gas money, I invest in stamps. I mailed off a weeks worth today, and it was a handful. I’ve had one person write me back, and, one time the addresses were given me were  ones I’d written to previously. 
I keep track of the scriptures I’ve used, so, I was able to follow up from my initial letter. 
And, know what? Writing those letters, especially the scriptures makes my day start just wonderful.

You may have noticed I’m not here as much in the past. 
There is a time, daily, that in the past, I um, spend time with my iPad. Frivolously. (Somewhat) My husband gets up, and with his routine, I can have, maybe two hours that is my time. So, I write letters. 
Not daily, but pretty much so. 
I’m wondering when and if, things get back to, “normal”, what this will mean to my theocratic schedule. 
Probably be like work. When I retired, I just sort of fell apart. Time. I had it all! When I worked, I had to follow a good routine to get my theocratic things done. Then, all the time I wanted, and, fell on my face! 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

I too write letters, In ASL the phone is out unless you have a VP line ( I don’t).  My writing rate has improved but I average about two-three letters an hour. Our keeping positive while writing actually, I think, helps us stay positive in general. And for those who take the time to read our letters and look up the scriptures it could literally turn them away from despair today and toward life tomorrow.  

I’ve enjoyed the letter writing so much. I sat in on some phone call service, and came away with three addresses! One that the brother just figured it would be best for a letter. 
And, I’ve figured, it is second nature for me to write at least one letter a day, (Except on Sunday!) Doing the thirty hour pioneer hours, so, I am busy, busy. 
I’ve decided that when this month is over, I will probably keep the habit up. A letter a morning. (Something 21 times in a row, and it becomes a habit) 
Plus, my husband is just used of it. A part of our day. 
Oh, I got a thank you card for one of my letters! The gal I was writing to is the granddaughter of one of our sisters who died some years ago. The sister and I were really close. 
So, I wrote the normal letter I write, and told her who I was, and about her Gram and me being good friends. Her family pretty well knows of me.

So, I thought, “Sister, you can’t do this, because you are asleep. I shall do it for you! 

And, I got that card! 

She did not particularly respond to the spiritual message, but I do know she read it! She just responded to my warmth about her Gram.

Edited by Miss Bea

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!