JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

TED/TEDx talks

On 1/10/2021 at 9:52 PM, Br. Ice said:

Have you watched a TED/TEDx talk that you would recommend others to watch?

One of my favourites is: 
The art of focus — a crucial ability 
Link:

I have a vague recollection but I think you have to judge each talk individually, because some are good, or ok, and some are not. 

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 1/10/2021 at 8:52 PM, Br. Ice said:

Have you watched a TED/TEDx talk that you would recommend others to watch?

One of my favourites is: 
The art of focus — a crucial ability 
Link:

I have a lot of good ones. I think everyone will love this one:

”Sleep is your superpower"

https://youtu.be/5MuIMqhT8DM

• 1 month later...

Thanks Br. Burt for this recommendation. 

In a recent talk at TEDx San Francisco, Mel Robbins, a self-help author, mentioned that scientists estimate the probability of your being born at about one in 400 trillion.

https://www.ted.com/talks/mel_robbins_how_to_stop_screwing_yourself_over?utm_campaign=tedspread&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=tedcomshare

Transcript 

So one more thing that you can use, I call it the five-second-rule. Your mind can process a facial expression in 33 milliseconds. It can move pretty damn quick. The other thing that it does very quickly is if you have one of those little impulses that are pulling you, if you don't marry it with an action within five seconds, you pull the emergency brake and kill the idea. 

If you have the impulse to get up and come dance while the band is playing, if you don't stand up in five seconds, you're going to pull the emergency brake. If you have an impulse about, you were inspired by somebody's speech today, and you don't do something within five seconds – write a note, send yourself a text – anything physical to marry it with the idea, you will pull the emergency brake and kill the idea. Your problem isn't ideas. Your problem is you don't act on them.

Edited by happiness IS

• 1 month later...

https://youtu.be/-FaO76c2pmo?t=127

Connected but alone (TED talk) by Sherry Turkle

I'm still excited by technology but I believe and I'm here to make the case that we're letting it take us places that we don't want to go. Over the past 15 years I've studied technologies of mobile communication and I've interviewed hundreds and hundreds of people young and old about their plugged-in lives and what I've found is that our little devices those little devices in our pockets are so psychologically powerful that they don't only change what we do, they change who we are. Some of the things we do now with our devices are things that only a few years ago we would have found odd or disturbing but they've quickly come to seem familiar, just how we do things. So just to take some quick examples. People text or do email during corporate board meetings.