JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

We all start somewhere!

Poly Ester

I've picked up a paint brush for the first time in well over 20 years.. I'm delighted to be back painting again. 

However I'm very much a beginner, I've followed a few video tutorials to start off with.. its actually easier than you think!

I'm using watercolor ... I  would love to be able to draw with graphite pencils but sadly I'm hopeless at it 🙈

20210110_164029.jpg

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

11 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

Wonderful, my father was a painter. I grew up watching my father painting ... I tried also (hopeless though) 

Do you still have any of his paintings? 

What kind of things did he paint?

My father used to draw but sadly I don't think any of his survived .

I used to try drawing with pencils. (Copying really) then I tried using gouache. Just mucking around. I have loads of paints but no inspiration. :)

I have been watching a guy called Alphonso Dunn and getting inspired again. Clear friendly voice, tons of videos on his you tube channel and I also own his first book. Pen Ink and watercolour he uses. 

Here is his website.

https://www.alphonsodunn.com/

His you tube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoBapgfK_m6G7airg1rdn8w

Copying a scene from a film...

Gladiator.jpg

Trying Gouache...

Goache.jpg

Scribble drawing attempt...

IMG_0418.JPG

Edited by Mykyl

2 hours ago, Mykyl said:

I used to try drawing with pencils. (Copying really) then I tried using gouache. Just mucking around. I have loads of paints but no inspiration. :)

I have been watching a guy called Alphonso Dunn and getting inspired again. Clear friendly voice, tons of videos on his you tube channel and I also own his first book. Pen Ink and watercolour he uses. 

Here is his website.

https://www.alphonsodunn.com/

His you tube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoBapgfK_m6G7airg1rdn8w

Copying a scene from a film...

Gladiator.jpg

Trying Gouache...

Goache.jpg

Scribble drawing attempt...

IMG_0418.JPG

You're really good!! 

I just have a watercolour set of just half pans... really cheap ones but I'm hoping to upgrade soon. 

I've watched some good tutorials.. but some are definitely better than others aren't they !

I painted a still life of my husbands boots and a little bear today just for something to do... it was really difficult but I think it's all of the learning process. 

I can see lots of mistakes in it... 

20210123_122528.jpg

13 minutes ago, Anniebea said:

You're really good!! 

I just have a watercolour set of just half pans... really cheap ones but I'm hoping to upgrade soon. 

I've watched some good tutorials.. but some are definitely better than others aren't they !

First thing you need to remember is forget detail. Detail early on will stop you in your tracks. One thing I enjoy is just scribbling with a pen. I use a pen as I cannot rub out mistakes. I have to just deal with whatever happens.

Gt a big brush for your water colours and that will force you to ignore detail. Then as you learn you can adjust how you want to do it. I think he is better now but I liked the speed and mess of working like that.

A scribble of a building in town in pen. Couldn't fix the mistakes.

03000963.jpg

Edited by Mykyl

7 minutes ago, Anniebea said:

I painted a still life of my husbands boots and a little bear today just for something to do... it was really difficult but I think it's all of the learning process. 

I can see lots of mistakes in it... 

20210123_122528.jpg

Whats a mistake? The person doing the work always sees what they feel are mistakes. Its like singing in a band and wincing every time I hit a duff note. Nobody noticed but they noticed the wince. :)

2 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

Very nice, you have good hand! keep going, painting and drawing is a nice hobby. 

Thank you... believe me I could make a hames of it very easily... but you're right it's a lovely hobby 

• 1 month later...

What beautiful work everyone!! I'm very taken with the eye of your horse Annie ... very expressive - that's difficult to do. Im working on birdlife and flowers and butterflies - when I think I've improved a little I'll show you all.

Hope you don't mind Annie, I've just joined your club. Lovely ideas here. 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

18 hours ago, Stormswift said:

What beautiful work everyone!! I'm very taken with the eye of your horse Annie ... very expressive - that's difficult to do. Im working on birdlife and flowers and butterflies - when I think I've improved a little I'll show you all.

Hope you don't mind Annie, I've just joined your club. Lovely ideas here. 

Thanks for joining... I'm really looking forward to all your art, I know you make beautiful things