JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Dead homeless man a JW???

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4392 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

He could have been a witness with mental issues. I knew a sister who had been homeless for a number of years living across the street from a KH. They found her and reunited her with her Mom. Today they run a B&B together in Price Edward Island.

If he was,

Just think of the people he was able to reach with the Good News.

They would have been other street people and possible the ones that are most lowly and meek and mild. The article said "He was a joy to talk to , and he had many good things to say."

He could not have been a Witness. Since when are we so outside of our association that we are homeless and no one know or help, unless he was disfellowshipped or inactive. The elders would have been all over him trying to help straighten him out. There is no way I can believe that this "brother" of mine was homeless and illegally living in an abandoned house while I have a roof over my head. Please don't get me wrong, I wish he were a Witness and that this thought gave him some comfort in his last days of life. But, If he was a Witness I would be ashamed that we allowed this to happen. How many more of my brothers and sisters out there are homeless? There was probably literature found in the abandoned house that gave them this hypothesis.

My grandfather who passed on used to say he was a Witness but in reality he was never baptized and wasn't ever a publisher. He never wanted to get baptized and didn't think it necessary. He attended the meetings on Sunday once in a while. People have no clue what it takes to be a witness and a member in good standing in the organization. The media enjoys throwing in Jehovah's witness when ever possible to give their stories more juice.

He could not have been a Witness. Since when are we so outside of our association that we are homeless and no one know or help, unless he was disfellowshipped or inactive. The elders would have been all over him trying to help straighten him out. There is no way I can believe that this "brother" of mine was homeless and illegally living in an abandoned house while I have a roof over my head. Please don't get me wrong, I wish he were a Witness and that this thought gave him some comfort in his last days of life. But, If he was a Witness I would be ashamed that we allowed this to happen. How many more of my brothers and sisters out there are homeless? There was probably literature found in the abandoned house that gave them this hypothesis.

My grandfather who passed on used to say he was a Witness but in reality he was never baptized and wasn't ever a publisher. He never wanted to get baptized and didn't think it necessary. He attended the meetings on Sunday once in a while. People have no clue what it takes to be a witness and a member in good standing in the organization. The media enjoys throwing in Jehovah's witness when ever possible to give their stories more juice.

Good explanation. That's exactly why I think he was not a Witness in the sense we understand the term.

Last year, a homeless Sister, who was visiting our hall, was homeless.

Her Clothes were clean.

She made wonderful answers at the Hall, She went in the field ministry with me twice. She explained she has to live this way due to circumstances.

She was at our hall for 6 months and then moved on.

Your comment almost implies that the entire kingdom hall turned a blind eye to this homeless sister. You were so matter-of-fact in saying that you had a homeless sister in your hall who has since moved on. Don't you think this might be your responsibility as a christian to at least know if your homeless sister needs help or of her whereabouts? Please tell me that this isn't so. Please tell me that my brother's and sister's at the kingdom hall would care if I was homeless. I am in shock.

Last year, a homeless Sister, who was visiting our hall, was homeless.

Her Clothes were clean.

She made wonderful answers at the Hall, She went in the field ministry with me twice. She explained she has to live this way due to circumstances.

She was at our hall for 6 months and then moved on.

Your comment almost implies that the entire kingdom hall turned a blind eye to this homeless sister. You were so matter-of-fact in saying that you had a homeless sister in your hall who has since moved on. Don't you think this might be your responsibility as a christian to at least know if your homeless sister needs help or of her whereabouts? Please tell me that this isn't so. Please tell me that my brother's and sister's at the kingdom hall would care if I was homeless. I am in shock.

I am sure there is more to the story - maybe she liked living that way? I've seen stranger things...

Brother Rick, I am sure you are right. You have to be right. It can't be any other way. I need to know that we are different than the people of this world who turn a blind eye to their homeless, and that we truly take to heart what Jesus taught us about being loving and kind to your brother. I need to know that Jesus' admonition to love your brother as you would your very own flesh is still a big part of our convictions. Especially, when it comes to the poor or poorer, the widows and fatherless children.

Brother Rick, I am sure you are right. You have to be right. It can't be any other way. I need to know that we are different than the people of this world who turn a blind eye to their homeless, and that we truly take to heart what Jesus taught us about being loving and kind to your brother. I need to know that Jesus' admonition to love your brother as you would your very own flesh is still a big part of our convictions. Especially, when it comes to the poor or poorer, the widows and fatherless children.

Even if some segment of the organization in some locality did fall short of how true Christians should act, it is important to remember that even in the 1st century congregation, major problems cropped up. Think of the ancient Corinth Congregation - there were divisions, tolerated fornication of a man with his father's wife, people claiming to follow humans, teachers of false doctrine and so forth. Think also of the 7 congregations of Asia Minor in Revelation. Such major problems are extremely rare but they can happen.

Even if some segment of the organization in some locality did fall short of how true Christians should act, it is important to remember that even in the 1st century congregation, major problems cropped up. Think of the ancient Corinth Congregation - there were divisions, tolerated fornication of a man with his father's wife, people claiming to follow humans, teachers of false doctrine and so forth. Think also of the 7 congregations of Asia Minor in Revelation. Such major problems are extremely rare but they can happen.

+1 to that!

Great job. I just love Jehovah's organization. Only he could have one where - "major problems are extremely rare"

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

We had a sister in our hall for about 6 months before she moved on. She wasn't homeless. She was in fact an RN and could always get a job. She was licensed in more than one state. She had never married and liked to keep on the move. It sounds strange to us, but people really are different.

Sister Lizzy, your experience with your RN sister that was in your hall and wanted to move on I can understand, but I'm having trouble understanding what happened to Luana's homeless sister. Was it her choice to be homeless? Did she receive any help? Was she mentally ill? Was she a baptized publisher? Where did she live when she was attending the kingdom hall?

We had a sister in our hall for about 6 months before she moved on. She wasn't homeless. She was in fact an RN and could always get a job. She was licensed in more than one state. She had never married and liked to keep on the move. It sounds strange to us, but people really are different.

Sister Luana I am very concerned about our homeless sister please let me know what happened to her. Sister Lizzy-Jo mentions her RN sister that chose to move on. She mentioned that she was RN and that she chose to move on so it is more settling to know she most likely is surviving on her own. You mention a homeless sister in your congregation and you sound oblivious, detached and unfazed about her situation. Was it her choice to be homeless? Did she receive any help? Did she have a job or profession? Family? Was she mentally ill? Was she a baptized publisher? Where did she live when she was attending the kingdom hall? Please tell us what happened to our homeless sister.

She wanted to keep moving on. I am sure we may see her again, That would be a joy.

I got to know her well in the field ministry and at a get together, at the meetings.

.It was nice to have met her.