JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Brother died playing football in the UK.

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4371 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1491889_tragedy-of-newlywed-andrew-holt-from-stockport-who-died-playing-football---aged-23 Tragedy of newlywed Andrew Holt from Stockport who died playing football - aged 23 A newlywed husband collapsed and died playing football – aged just 23. Andrew Holt was taking part with friends in a regular five-a-side match at Priestnall School in Stockport when he suddenly fell to the ground. Staff at the Life Leisure centre battled to save him. He was taken to Stepping Hill hospital but later died. An inquest will be carried out to establish the cause of death. Mr Holt had only recently moved from Failsworth to a new house on Mayfield Grove, Stockport, with his wife Lydia. The pair were married last September. His wife, mum Louise and older brothers Simon and Nathan were too upset to speak to the M.E.N. Mr Holt had become an uncle for the first time just a few hours before he died after Nathan had a son. Friend Liam Mcleod said Mr Holt, who worked for Swinton Insurance in Manchester city centre, would have been a ‘very proud uncle’. He said: “He will always be remembered for his loving personality and amazingly funny sense of humour, making everyone he knew laugh. Everyone who knew him will have a special place in their heart for Andy because of how loving, special and funny he really was. “His unforgettable smile that was so cheeky and charming. “He really was a loving and devoted husband, a treasured and affectionate son, an incredibly loved brother and an amazing friend to have. “Anyone who knew him was blessed to have spent time with him. We miss you Andy and we will always love you. My personal love goes out to his friends, family and his wife.” In a joint statement, Stockport council and Life Leisure, said: “Our deepest sympathies go out to the family and friends of the young man following this tragic event.” Carolyn Callan, director of Swinton commercial, said: "We are absolutely devastated. Andy was an all round lovely guy. Nothing was ever too much trouble for him. Our thoughts are with his family and friends.”

99230=5476-Andrew Holt n wife Lydia.jpg

is horrible news. We have a family in our Cong. who are from Stockport. it is only 6am here now so they will not have heard about this yet.

There seems to be much news of sudden death of apparently healthy young men playing sport. Australia has had 3 in the last month. :no:

If any members are from that area, please pass on my condolences and love.

I actually got the post from another Brother on FB. He knew them. And than a sister on my page from the UK said she knows the family personally. So I got the back up that it was a brother from two seperate sources.

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/pages/Jehovas-Zeugen-News-Geschichte-Videos/164212486954285

I feel so sad ~ he was so young & his poor wife widowed so early in their marriage. Thankfully we know that Jehovah will remember him and not long from now be reunited with his family.

I actually got the post from another Brother on FB. He knew them. And than a sister on my page from the UK said she knows the family personally. So I got the back up that it was a brother from two seperate sources.

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/pages/Jehovas-Zeugen-News-Geschichte-Videos/164212486954285

I feel so sad ~ he was so young & his poor wife widowed so early in their marriage. Thankfully we know that Jehovah will remember him and not long from now be reunited with his family.

Thanks Cherie. I appreciate that confirmation. I do not use Facebook (or twitter) but I hesitated to show the news item to my wife (who originates from that area) without being sure of the information.

There have been several sportsmen (and children engaged in sports) who have died in such a way recently (and of course Fabrice Muamba who fortunately recovered).

Wow, how awful. They look so young and happy in the picture. They were newlyweds. I can't imagine how she must have felt getting that news.

I know that we have the resurrection hope, but it still has to be so hard when someone goes unexpectedly like this, at such a young age.

That picture of them makes me sad.