JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Any aerobic step sisters out there?

If there are, we're a dying breed. I got into step back in 1992. For the first time in my no-athletic-ability life, I was average at something gym related. I got to the point where I thought I was pretty good. By the mid 90s, it started to fade away. Kickboxing became the next trend, and all of my favorite instructors went over to teach that format. That left us 'step junkies', with the novice 'wannabee's' for step instructors. I too was a 'wannabee', so I did.

I taught for quite a while, and saw 1 new group fitness format after another. Each replacing the other as the 'new popular trendy thingy'. Today it's the 'Zumba' classes. Which has always been around, I just remember it as 'Latan Dance Aerobics'. But take that, 'cookie cut' it, give it a new name and now everyone jumps on that 'bandwagon'. Except for me. I no longer teach as a job, but from time to time (we were trying for twice a week) I get together with the 2 or 3 other step sisters and we do our own class.

I refuse to give it up, although we've been branching out some, and doing intervals/alternating with kettle bells, hand weights, & resistant bands.

This is my hobby. Quite an accomplishment for someone who was afraid of the ball in volleyball, hated softball, did more walking around the track than running, and always got picked last for the team.

Are there any aerobic step brothers?

Good question..... There could be some out there. Used to have one brother come to class. I've seen lots of guys do (or even teach) the class.

My DH, never did the class. Once or twice I tried to get him to 'follow', as I practiced my routine. He had trouble with the 'march'.

I instructed 'SilverSneakers' for a while and lots of guys came to that, including my dad.

Hi Dee

I used to teach country line dancing for about five years in the early 90's. I enjoyed it very much and it was good exercise also.

Wish I lived closer to you, i could step with the sisters.

Interesting that you used to teach line dancing.....

I love any form of exercise that is not boring. That way it doesn't seem like exercise. I try to emphasize that to others so that they'll understand it's mainly for association, & fun. Years ago, when I was teaching, one of my regular participants said "I hate walking on a treadmill, it's so boring, I'd rather watch paint dry". I agreed with her. Since then, I've related that saying to some that are reluctant to try 'group fitness'. I also add, "I've watched paint dry, and it's way more interesting than walking on a treadmill". Actually, I don't mind spending 10 minutes on a treadmill. I like 'circuit' type training, going from one form of equipment to another.

I have a.d.d. I'm sure that I had it as a kid, but back then, it was called 'you need to pay attention', 'if you would just apply yourself', 'it's laziness'. I was surprised to find out as an adult, that there's such a thing as 'adult a.d.d'.

I've noticed also, that 'midwestern' people tend to very 'low key', and 'reserved'. Most don't like an activity that they think would draw attention to themselves. My feelings are that 'if I can do this, anyone can'. I'm not the stereo-typical image on the dvd workouts.

Sorry, I do middle eastern dance. I have an instructor that also taught martial arts at one point, so she makes us do exercises that are designed to work specific parts that are essential to a dancers form. For instance last Monday she had us make us of the side of the wall, go up on tippy toes and then squeeze inward...then down lower doing it all over again. I could barely walk, let alone shimmy after that. Yesterday, she had us sit on our keesters and lift our legs up and then do circles with them.

Then there were the elephant walks where you're doing a hip up, down up, move, up down up so it isolates the one particular muscle group - my thighs and keester were cramping by the end of that little number.

I tried stepping, it's a fantastic cardio workout, but I'm a clutz, I have rolled my ankles, fallen off the step, kicked the step itself and ended up not stepping on the step and so much more. I've also done Zumba, it's a little too repetitive for me, I like a constant change, I don't want to do the same 'z' to the air combo.

I thought about joining a boot camp, but because of hockey in the past I have some issues with my knees, in particular where one of them will just randomly give out, or slide off to the side and then pop back into place, it's a little disconcerting. LOL

Great topic though! We were created to MOVE!

Sorry, I do middle eastern dance. I have an instructor that also taught martial arts at one point, so she makes us do exercises that are designed to work specific parts that are essential to a dancers form. For instance last Monday she had us make us of the side of the wall, go up on tippy toes and then squeeze inward...then down lower doing it all over again. I could barely walk, let alone shimmy after that. Yesterday, she had us sit on our keesters and lift our legs up and then do circles with them.

Then there were the elephant walks where you're doing a hip up, down up, move, up down up so it isolates the one particular muscle group - my thighs and keester were cramping by the end of that little number.

I tried stepping, it's a fantastic cardio workout, but I'm a clutz, I have rolled my ankles, fallen off the step, kicked the step itself and ended up not stepping on the step and so much more. I've also done Zumba, it's a little too repetitive for me, I like a constant change, I don't want to do the same 'z' to the air combo.

I thought about joining a boot camp, but because of hockey in the past I have some issues with my knees, in particular where one of them will just randomly give out, or slide off to the side and then pop back into place, it's a little disconcerting. LOL

How cool is that!? Sounds like so much fun! Too bad we live like a gazillion miles apart! I too am a clutz...so for me, step was like attempting suicide! Not pretty. Don't get as much excercie as I'd like (or need)...my weight hasn't changed...but ain't nothing toned!! Could it be the beer? :)-D Would love to bike ride...but not by myself. I walk my dog...a huge boxer. He's my protection cause the town I live in is high-crime...even tho I live in the historic district.

I know a sister here in Houston that still teaches step. My gym doesn't have any step classes, I prefer the Athletic Conditioning classes and the Les Mills classes like CXWorx BodyPump, and BodyCombat (cardio). I also run and am thinking about training for IronMan in Austin next year. A lot of the friends in our area are athletic and we do races around Texas but I have never done a triathlon. I used tt do step all the time in the 90's but haven't for about 10 years, but we do use a step in BodyPump but mainly as a bench.

How cool is that!? Sounds like so much fun! Too bad we live like a gazillion miles apart! I too am a clutz...so for me, step was like attempting suicide! Not pretty. Don't get as much excercie as I'd like (or need)...my weight hasn't changed...but ain't nothing toned!! Could it be the beer? :)-D Would love to bike ride...but not by myself. I walk my dog...a huge boxer. He's my protection cause the town I live in is high-crime...even tho I live in the historic district.

For those that consider themselves to be clutzes, they now have 'step matts'. Your on the floor. No 'up up, down down'. Just the routine along with those that choose to use a step. Alot depends on the instructor. I use the 'pitch control' so that I can either speed up the tempo, or slow it down. I use the slowed down mode alot, that way no one is trying to do it 100 mph. and falls.

It's a toss up between being too difficult and fun. Sometimes when you're first learning to separate all the body parts it is SO frustrating. Imagine doing upper body movements, separated from lower body movements in opposite directions, and then adding some finger cymbals to the mix for good measure LOL!

I AM JUST NOT THAT CO-ORDINATED!!!!

Heh, my family said I looked exhausted after I came from the studio LOL. I don't get nearly as much exercise since I quit hockey, I ache a lot more too. I haven't ridden my bike since Grande Prairie (that was in 2007 ish), and although we have two dogs, only one of them gets walked regularly because he doesn't pull our hands off (I need to get the other a harness)

I hate that about certain areas too. Yet another thing I cannot wait for Jehovah to fix. I like wandering around alone at night.

For those that consider themselves to be clutzes, they now have 'step matts'. Your on the floor. No 'up up, down down'. Just the routine along with those that choose to use a step. Alot depends on the instructor. I use the 'pitch control' so that I can either speed up the tempo, or slow it down. I use the slowed down mode alot, that way no one is trying to do it 100 mph. and falls.

I'm not clear what you mean by this? I get the concept of a step mat, but pitch control to speed up tempo and slow it down? :S

I'm not clear what you mean by this? I get the concept of a step mat, but pitch control to speed up tempo and slow it down? :S

Sorry, should have explained the term. It controls the beats per minute. (BPMs) Some systems have a mechanism where you can + or - the speed of the music.

Remember (Depending on your age) the days of vinyl records? 45 and 33 I think? There was another setting also...?? If you put your record on the 'wrong speed', it would play super fast or super slow.

The pitch control mechanism makes it possible to speed up the music or slow it down. However, it's subtle. Increments of 3 or 4% or maybe 6 or 7 %. I forget exactly. For example: If I cranked it to it's highest pitch, it's like Mrs. Howell after she ate the radio-active sugar beets. Remember she ran super fast all over the hut cleaning..... The lowest pitch would be like the slow - motion mode on TV. Pitch gives the instructor the ability to change the tempo/speed ever so slightly. A speed of 127 to 132 BPM would be average. Think Gloria Gaynor's 'I Will Survive'. That's within that average speed. However, let's say I have someone participating who isn't used to exercising, that average speed song could be pitched down to 124 bpm, making it just a little slower.

I think it's the turbo-speed, complicated routine, super high steps that gave 'step' classes a bad rep. Very intimidating. That's why I prefer to do it a little slower and give people the option of the mats or steps.