JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Sharing children’s lives online

Some parents are just too excited to have kids and its their own way of expressing that excitements,its just that kids may not understand the joy their parents feel to have them.some parents waited painfully for very long time to have kids.

Everyone likes people to know how happy they are,and it looks like this very desire and act gives more happiness.happiness should be shared,right?

We cannot really conclude whether it is safe or not to post your kids photos online,I think it depends mostly on the unique circumstance of the parent.parents who confidently post their kids photos online feel very safe themselves and don't expect that anyone would want to harm them or their kids.

a parent who is in any danger themselves wouldn't do that.

Also the online forum matters too.

a very controlled and clean forum like Jwtalk is very safe to share your kids photos and your own photos or your spouse's photos..but open forums like facebook etc requires more caution.

On a general note,its all about doing what makes you happy as a parent,sharing your happiness to the world and getting more happiness by so doing.its just that it should be done wisely.

Ishaya - you are right some things may be safe and some are NOT

--some parents and kids are oblivious to the dangers

my kids have recently graduated school in the US

I did appreciate that the school recognized some parents may NOT want their kids picture/info online

so

the school would usually send a release authorization first week of school asking if the could use the kids pictures likeness etc on websites and social media

i always declined

when i was young - maybe you would get a mention in a newsletter/news paper regarding sports or academics - THAT was it

now though its their picture and often additional details -- we(wife and I) decided we wanted control over what photos of kids got posted 'online' 

each Family can choose on their own 

as a small side note - there was a security bulletin/notice of a company that was hacked and compromised - primarily through access to Social Media info

(the Husband - an executive - had very little online presence .....but his wife and children had public accounts with tons of info.

this info was leveraged to send Phishing emails with legitimate data to the EXEC....and the EXEC fell for the hoax and his company was hacked for many millions of dollars.

the perpetrator was caught and explained they targeted the company and sent these types of emails with personal info and many Execs fell for it)

moral of the story BE careful 

What you post

Who can see it (many can be PRIVATE)

What communication you respond to

I remember having class pictures every year when I was in school. Because of how vast the www and social media are, that is no longer the case in schools - at least individual year photos. 

Interesting how France has an over 40,000 € penalty for individuals who post unauthorised pictures of people, particularly kids on the web. Amazing how much money people can earn from just one picture posted on the web.

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

Thank you Bro Darin for that experience.

it is very true that there are downsides to sharing kids photos,names etc in online community.

Like I mentioned,for some parents it gives them joy and happiness doing that.people are different in many ways and so is what makes us happy.I just think that it is okay if   the sharing is done wisely and in safe forums.

Some brothers in this forum have used photos of their kids or photos of themselves with their kids or spouses as their dp.do you think they're being unwise to do that?

18 hours ago, Ishaya said:

Thank you Bro Darin for that experience.

it is very true that there are downsides to sharing kids photos,names etc in online community.

Like I mentioned,for some parents it gives them joy and happiness doing that.people are different in many ways and so is what makes us happy.I just think that it is okay if   the sharing is done wisely and in safe forums.

Some brothers in this forum have used photos of their kids or photos of themselves with their kids or spouses as their dp.do you think they're being unwise to do that?

Depends

Here -on this site - i think that is fine with me - to post a picture or family pictures - i have done so --- just my opinion

but I like this group of people and even though we discuss and disagree - we are like minded in service of Jehovah

so i wouldn't think anyone would exploit something posted here

other social media sites I might be more careful

if you upload a picture of your child on facebook

--I can easily track the METADATA - find out where and when the picture was taken and then also cross-reference that with a google picture search to find additional pictures

of the same child

if its on instagram or snapchat- they may have been linked by a peer and i now have their name - location - IG Name and maybe can try to follow them if the account is not locked - (also ALWAYS watch what your children are posting - they are often unaware of the potential dangers)

many non-technical people would be absolutely SHOCKED about the amount of information that BIG social media stores about them and is often available online - free and easy

(I have worked with these companies -some have a history of when you used your Cellphone - where - going back years - they can determine patterns and locations and many many details - just from when your cellphone connected to tower and downloaded updates and direction, paid for meals, took pictures, answered texts and calls, etc)

i once demonstrated this to my sister and pulled up pages of information on her - her school history - her extended family(including her small children and husband and his family) - her job history - places she lived - her driving and credit records - ALL FREE - just by using her NAME ONLY

and i did it in less than 5 minutes....and I'm not a criminal - just computer savvy

my company pays a service(company) to comb through your social media history for the past 5-10 years when they are thinking of hiring a person - to see what your past has been like

so JUST BE CAREFUL.....

I know of many stories off what has happened via social media pages, and thus I don't use them. I even used Facebook to track down people who owed people money (my boss used to have a debt collection business) and it is so easy to track people down. 

I have never been a fan of posting pictures of myself, nor do I like pictures taken of me at any time. Nor do I take pictures of anyone else unless I have there permission. I may post pictures of things I have done or seen, but they are seldom.

It is a dangerous world on the net, and many people do not know exactly how dangerous it can be.