JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Scientists Move the Doomsday Clock Forward

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 466 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

https://www.jw.org/en/library/series/more-topics/doomsday-clock-moves-forward-bible-hope/

There is finally an article on jw.org about the doomsday clock.

Now they need to do an article on the climate clock. 

https://climateclock.world

The world is surely ending.

Edited by Luigi62

I like the footnote 

“The Doomsday Clock is a design that warns the public about how close we are to destroying our world with dangerous technologies of our own making. It is a metaphor, a reminder of the perils we must address if we are to survive on the planet.”—Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists.

Similar to the climate clock, it’s basically a countdown clock which signifies the point of no return on global warming.

I have never understood how they “calculate” seconds on the clock.

Why 90 seconds… and not 80? Etc… 

Do they calculate time or move at will how they feel about the times we are living now? 
How does this work? 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

2 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

I have never understood how they “calculate” seconds on the clock.

Why 90 seconds… and not 80? Etc… 

Do they calculate time or move at will how they feel about the times we are living now? 
How does this work? 

they only move it in minutes not in 10 seconds increments. This is the first time they moved half a minute. 

so they may only move it in 15 seconds increments. Eg. 15, 30, 45, 60, 75, 90. 

Moved from Bible Research, Personal Study, and Scriptural Discussion because it isn't any of those three, over to Encouragement for the Worldwide Brotherhood, because it is a new (non-news) article/release from JW.org

Encouragement for the Worldwide Brotherhood -> New media/literature releases from JW.org, as well as those non-firsthand "experiences" or poems that encouragement junkies like to forward to eachother via email or post on social media. 

Bible Research, Personal Study, and Scriptural Discussion -> Share the results of YOUR research. Ask for help when you hit a brick wall in your research.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

"The Doomsday Clock was created to warn the public how close we are to destroying our world with dangerous self-made technologies. It is a symbol, a reminder of the threats we need to address if we are to survive on the planet." - Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists.

- Dangerous Technologies-

I got to thinking about AI (artificial intelligence)

I have heard a lot about this in more sophisticated and advanced countries.... but honestly...I have no knowledge in this area.

Sorry for the joke but ...

Is there a possibility of using "dangerous technology" like in the movie "Terminator of the Future?" LOL

I don't know...maybe these computerized intelligences create "lives" and disrupt OUR lives ?

This already exists in some form through social networks that spend a lot of time, have bad things on the net, and so on.

but I mean at the level of creating a "monster" of technology and it creating life and making "slavery" of humans 

I remember the animatrix movie that told a little bit about this

don't take me too seriously, ok? just 2 cents...:)

1 hour ago, Liam Davies said:

eminded me of this Awake from 1984.

Screenshot_20230205_215045_Twitter.jpg

In 1984, at the time this magazine cover was produced the Doomsday Clock stood at 3 minutes to midnight.

The clock hands where then moved back in 1988 to 6 Minutes to midnight, back again in 1990 to 10 minutes to midnight, and again in 1991 to 17 minutes to midnight, which was kinda a bit awkward as the design of the traditional Doomsday Clock actually only uses only the last quarter of the clock face, the last 15 minutes... opps