JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Musky, god of the PC, any ideas on this one?

Carol (Alecki82) has written me this...

Hello All,

I am trying this e-mail very skittishly since I have not been able to get into this website since the crash of my computer 3 weeks ago. My daughter gave me an old Sony to use, then this week I managed a restoration of my own, & still cannot get into any other site but "Yahoo." Thanx for the Convention news. Hope things get better in the coming weeks.

I send my love,

Carol [Alecki62]

My reply, etc, etc...

Hi Carol,

Does the site even display? You should be able to click this link...

http://www.jwtalk.net/forum

If you get an error message, what does it say?

- Bob

Hello Bob,

It says "XML page cannot be displayed."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

THEN, "Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later. "

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then, "The character '>' was expected. Error processing resource 'http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd'. Line 31, Position 3"

Other than this the page is blank.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

All of this has been done. The site has been "Refreshed," & "Error Processing Resource" has been put into the browser, all to no avail.

Thanx for your reply,

Carol

Interesting. You did mention that you had a very old computer that you were using temporarily. Maybe it is indeed very old. Any idea what operating system and what browser version you are running?

So you can check email, but cannot visit any other site on the net?

- Bob

Any ideas?

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Yes, I would also like to know the browser version. If she is using IE, tell her to uninstall the Yahoo toolbar if it's there. I have seen this block all sites except Yahoo in the past. Also, have her go to "tools" at the top and then "Internet options" then "Advanced" and click the button at the bottom that says "Reset " to reset the settings to default and then restart IE.

If she is using a different browser, post back.

EDIT: I just checked out the link that was in her error message "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd" it went right to a download, so maybe she has some adware going on because it sounds like she clicked on the link that you sent her and it got redirected (hijacked) to that site.

I may have missed something, I just got up! :yawning:

Tools like Incredimail email can be a pain too. They work OK until they send you an update and it all happens too fast and it sets up a different Homepage (which is viral) and you then need to go into settings and remove/change.

I always start troubleshooting by removing or turning off the most recent additions to my PC. Same with mobile phone, use an app remover with 'croco-dilliac' strength. :taz:

Depending on type of operating software, I've had some nasty experiences with viruses that acted identical and not let you go to any other sites. It took several days of cleanup and system restores to get back to normal operating. I let my husband take over at that point. He has more patience than I do with machines

Her current reply...

Hello Bob,

Sorry I have not been able to get back to you before now. I have been quite sick since the One Day ass'y we had on Sunday. I had been trying to keep up with the letter-writing, which is what I do for Field Service, & by Wed. I had to give up & go back to bed, because I just could not deal with the illness, & stay up any more.

I checked the operating system on this machine & it is Windows XP, 2002. Yes, I can only get into Yahoo. No other system.

Thank you for your reply,

Carol J.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Her current reply...

Hello Bob,

Sorry I have not been able to get back to you before now. I have been quite sick since the One Day ass'y we had on Sunday. I had been trying to keep up with the letter-writing, which is what I do for Field Service, & by Wed. I had to give up & go back to bed, because I just could not deal with the illness, & stay up any more.

I checked the operating system on this machine & it is Windows XP, 2002. Yes, I can only get into Yahoo. No other system.

Thank you for your reply,

Carol J.

Ask her if she tried this:

If she is using IE, tell her to uninstall the Yahoo toolbar if it's there. I have seen this block all sites except Yahoo in the past. Also, have her go to "tools" at the top and then "Internet options" then "Advanced" and click the button at the bottom that says "Reset " to reset the settings to default and then restart IE.

Ask her if she tried this:

Musky

If she is using IE, tell her to uninstall the Yahoo toolbar if it's there. I have seen this block all sites except Yahoo in the past. Also, have her go to "tools" at the top and then "Internet options" then "Advanced" and click the button at the bottom that says "Reset " to reset the settings to default and then restart IE.

I had that problem and had a really hard time fixin' it. I know that I un-installed the yahoo toolbar but then I did some other stuff and finally got my computer up and running. Then I ran to the computer store and got a new computer. I couldn't handle the drama the other one was giving me.:)

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

• 2 weeks later...