JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

September is National Emergency Preparedness Month in the USA

Did you know September is Disaster Preparedness Month? Everyone should have a "Go Bag" or "Home Shelter kit". What are some of the items we should have?

A disaster supplies kit should include basic items that your household may need in the event of an emergency or disaster. The most essential part of your kit is several days’ supply of food and water for you, your family and your pets. Here are some other items that you should include in your kit 123:

New World Translation Bible
Small magnify glass.
Flashlight
Battery-powered or hand-crank radio (NOAA Weather Radio, if possible)
Extra batteries
First aid kit
Medications (7-day supply) and medical items
Multi-purpose tool
Sanitation and personal hygiene items
Copies of personal documents (medication list and pertinent medical information, proof of address, deed/lease to home, passports, birth certificates, insurance policies)
Cell phone with chargers
Family and emergency contact information
Extra cash
Emergency blanket
Map(s) of the area
Consider the needs of all family members and add supplies to your kit:

Medical supplies (hearing aids with extra batteries, glasses, contact lenses, syringes, etc)
Baby supplies (bottles, formula, baby food, diapers)
Games and activities for children
Pet supplies (collar, leash, ID, food, carrier, bowl)
Two-way radios
Extra set of car keys and house keys
Additional supplies to keep at home or in your survival kit based on the types of disasters common to your area:

Whistle
N95 or surgical masks
Matches
Rain gear
Towels
Work gloves
Tools/supplies for securing your home
Extra clothing, hat and sturdy shoes
Plastic sheeting
Duct tape
Scissors
Household liquid bleach
Entertainment items (books, games)

BE PREPARED, NOT SCARED! Are you or your neighbor elderly or infirmed? Think of them too! If you are not together at a time of an emergency, where would you meet if roads were out? Do you have an out of the area emergency contact?

disaster-emergency-supplies.jpg

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

13 minutes ago, Wanda Hill said:

Thank you, Brother!

You are welcome. When my wife had her stroke, we had an emergency bag in the car with a change of clothes, battery charger for the cell phone. She was in a hospital about an hour away from our home. I slept on a couch in her room. So, it did come in handy!

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”