JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Have you ever owned too much of 1 item?

I have. I was obsessed with skating. I owned at one point about 100 pairs of skates. Yes, skates. I had quad skates, inline skates, ice skates and hockey skates. I grew up at the skating rink whether it would be a traditional roller rink, ice skating rink, outdoor on the street and other types of buildings. We were in Pontiac, Michigan for the Convention and the week after you could skate the concourse for $10. It would have been a blast. 

My doctors made me officially give up skating in 2013 due to different health issues. Despite this I kept 4 pairs of skates just in case. The day finally arrived I knew it was over in this system of things. I could have made some good money selling them but decided to donate them instead. Many of the rinks that I grew up skating at are now gone. There are more ice rinks in the United States than roller rinks. 443 roller rinks in the United States. By the end of the 1940's there was over 5,000 rinks. I have watched videos on Youtube where they have found abandoned rinks with skates still in them! 

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

Yes. I become obsessed with whatever project I have . Started with RC airplanes as a kid. Bought tons of them and crashed them all. 

Then it was sailing. I bought sailboats and windsurfers. 

Then I got into woodworking. Bought a bunch of tools for that. 

The it was old time cooking with cast iron. Bought a bunch of that. 

The it was bicycles. Fixed a bunch of old ones up. 

Then it was vintage watches that I became fascinated with. 

On and on...

All of this is yard sale stuff usually found out in service. 

Im not rich. But I love a lot of stuff and go broke doing it. 

Anytime we have a part on meeting about many hobbies..my wife gives me the side eye. 

When I moved into where I presently live, there was one TV outlet in the house.  Of course, it was in the living room.  I showed my son and daughter-in-law how to wire cables for TV.  My son pulled the wires under the house while my daughter-in-law installed ends on the cables.  I got a box from Amazon that I installed on the side of the house as a junction box for the wires.  I also bought a 4-way splitter/amplifier so that every outlet would get a good signal.  I quit using my homemade Grey/Hoverman antenna and opted to build an omnidirectional antenna instead.  I did not plan to immediately buy TVs for each room.

My youngest son had given me a 43" TV and a 73" TV.  I had used the 73" TV before I moved, but did not have a space for it in the new house.  It ended up in my garage.  I also connected my homemade Grey/Hoverman antenna which I had used in my old house to it and it is now in a "mancave" which I almost never use.  The 43" was installed on the wall in one guest bedroom.  The other 'guest bedroom' was used for my computer desk and did not have a TV at the time.

My wife wanted a TV in the master bedroom.  I bought a 65" TV for the living room and a 55" TV for the MB.  The 43" TV would lose sound occasionally, but I could go into the settings and it would start working again.  I put a small 32" TV in the computer room, and when I needed a new monitor, I bought a cheaper model 32" TV to use as a monitor.

My wife decided she wanted to replace the 43" TV with a newer model.  I actually didn't want to but she insisted.  I also bought two 32" TVs to use as monitors for my computer.  The old cheap TV I had been using was put in a closet until I gave it to my daughter.

Not counting the two computer monitors, I now have 6 TVs for just me and my wife.  The 73" and 43" TVs are both in the garage.  6 TVs for 2 people who have only four rooms in the house for TVs.

That's too much, but my wife loves to buy useless items a lot.

Yes.  Hair conditioner.   

For some reason I thought that it was a good idea to buy conditioner whenever it was on sale.    SMH.  

Needless to say, I ended up giving most of them away after a couple of years. 

Know that Jehovah is God. He is the one who made us, and we belong to him.

Psalm 100:3