JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Wednesday, October 11 Where you go I will go . . . Your people will be my people, and your God my God.​—Ruth 1:16.

Wednesday, October 11

Where you go I will go . . . Your people will be my people, and your God my God.—Ruth 1:16.

Because of a famine in Israel, Naomi, her husband, and two sons moved to Moab. While there, Naomi’s husband died. Her two sons got married, but sadly, they too died. (Ruth 1:3-5) Those blows caused Naomi to sink deeper and deeper into despair. She became so overwhelmed by anguish that she concluded that Jehovah was opposing her. Note how she expressed her feelings about God: “The hand of Jehovah has turned against me.” “The Almighty has made life very bitter for me.” She also said: “It is Jehovah who opposed me and the Almighty who caused me calamity.” (Ruth 1:13,20, 21) Jehovah understands that “oppression can drive the wise one into madness.” (Eccl. 7:7) He moved Ruth to reach out and show loyal love to Naomi. Willingly and gently, Ruth helped her mother-in-law to regain her emotional and spiritual balance. w21.11 9 ¶9; 10 ¶10, 13

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

This is very much in line with the a reference I came across when digging into the Bible reading this week:

*** w97 7/1 p. 12 par. 14 “Jehovah Will Not Forsake His People” ***

How disheartened Job must have felt when Eliphaz charged him with wrongdoing! (Job, chapters 4, 5, 22) We do not want to be quick to conclude that we experience calamities because we have failed Jehovah in some way or because Jehovah has withdrawn his blessing. Negative thinking in the face of tribulation could weaken our faith. (1 Thessalonians 3:1-3, 5) When experiencing distress, it is best to meditate on the fact that Jehovah and Jesus are close to the righteous regardless of what happens.

Practical application for me: How can I be a 'Ruth' to someone in my congregation undergoing distressing circumstances?

"Where the scriptures and and the slave are silent, I do not speak." :bible2:

As I read the watchtower that our text was taking from, I came across a study note I had about the picture of the two brothers sharing a cup of coffee, ”this picture with the coffee reminds me of a Gilead talk, where the brother referred to loyal love as a undiluted double espresso. It gives us a real boast to help us attach ourselves to a brother or sister and cling to them until we can pull them out of their despair : See and Be Jehovah’s Hand" by Br. Hermanus van Selm (from min 20:30) from the 144th Gilead Graduation,  We all need to show that kind of love to our dear friends.

This is one of my favorite accounts. How Ruth was faithful and loyal to Nahomi, and also Jehovah despite Nahomi not knowing what her future would hold. It went well with this weekend's Watchtower Study about loyal love. Ruth had loyal love towards Nahomi, followed her anywhere but also showed loyal love to Jehovah. Very nice account.