JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I Don't Understand Some People

So my brother who turns 60 today has had NUMEROUS heart attacks, has had open heart surgery twice, and many stents put in because of heart issues.   His eating habits have been horrible. 

His step son and his wife with their two children moved with him because they became homeless.     Today she posted a picture of a HUGE birthday cake (three tiers like a wedding cake)   I commented that it probably isn't a good idea for him to have that much cake since he has huge heart issues.      She said that he's had a rough year and she wanted to get him a cake.

So they're going to get him a HUGE cake because he's had a rough year that could potentially kill him?      I just don't understand why you would give someone something that could kill them out of love? 

Where is the logic in that?    Does that make any sense to you?    Am I missing something here?   

Am I being too judgmental?     

Know that Jehovah is God. He is the one who made us, and we belong to him.

Psalm 100:3

I totally get where your coming from.
But more than likely HE will not eat the entire cake.
Yes, he shouldn't be eating it perhaps at all. But when one is chronically ill, sometimes they just want to feel normal. Perhaps for his birthday his family want him to feel loved and special which is a normal thing for people of the world on their birthdays.
To be treated as an ill person and be reminded of your illnesses is very tiring. I can understand his family also.

When my son was sick we did things I'm sure some people would never understand. But we did it for mental health reasons and a reminder of what to fight for.

If he was having this cake daily for weeks it would be an issue. An occasional reminds you to enjoy life.

Sent from my SM-A336E using Tapatalk

You're a loving person. You care about your brother deeply. I don't see your reaction as being too judgemental. It's actually a sin to see someone taking a false, dangerous step and keeping quiet to save face.

I see two possible reasons why they gifted him poison ( the cake)

1. They meant well, and just wanted to put a smile on his face. Common sense should tell them that it is not kind to give him something that would worsen his situation.. But I've noticed that"common sense" is not that common. ( I still wonder whose idea it was to call it  "common sense") 

2. They probably know what they're doing.. Being homeless now.... I'm sure I don't have to spell it all out.

But there could be more options... And I may be wrong in both of these.

In any case, pray about it and leave it with Jehovah. He is an adult, So let's hope he never tasted it. 

Only enjoyed the view and aroma

I'm sorry for the stress you've experienced.  I'll pray about him too. Don't think too much, since worrying won't change a thing. Just tell our heavenly father your fears and ask for calm. Do your part to check on him often. He'll be ok, Jehovah's willing.

7 minutes ago, Fiona said:

I totally get where your coming from.
But more than likely HE will not eat the entire cake.
Yes, he shouldn't be eating it perhaps at all. But when one is chronically ill, sometimes they just want to feel normal. Perhaps for his birthday his family want him to feel loved and special which is a normal thing for people of the world on their birthdays.
To be treated as an ill person and be reminded of your illnesses is very tiring. I can understand his family also.

When my son was sick we did things I'm sure some people would never understand. But we did it for mental health reasons and a reminder of what to fight for.

If he was having this cake daily for weeks it would be an issue. An occasional reminds you to enjoy life.

Sent from my SM-A336E using Tapatalk

This is good point. Though I'm certain, while trying to care for his mental health, you never purposely feed him something clearly dangerous to his health. But yes, I agree that the desire to make the sick dear one feel a bit normal, at least one day, could make them act this way. But for us servants of Jehovah, our respect for the gift of life, prevents us from purposely taking in something marked dangerous. But like you said, Perhaps just that once won't hurt him much. Sorry about the stress you went through for your dear son sister.

On 10/11/2023 at 2:17 PM, Lori said:

Where is the logic in that?    Does that make any sense to you?    Am I missing something here?

For most people, short-term temporary enjoyment is always greater than long-term, rational/logical planning.

If most people thought long-term and more logically/rationally, there'd be more JWs.  Also, the credit card companies wouldn't make so much money.  Healthcare industry wouldn't be so big.  Etc. etc. etc.

I have a new phrase I've been saying a lot the past year.  Boy have I been saying it a LOT!!  "Most people can't think 5 minutes in front of them"  :whistling:

And yes, that applies even to OBVIOUS things, like the situation you mentioned....